kcdinga

Some Basic Questions about Side By Side Migrations

Question

Hello,

I am working on some task sequences to migrate data during a side by side migration in OSD. We are using SCCM 2007 R2 with MDT 2010 integrated. I have USMT 4.0 installed on the primary site.

I have used ANYWEBs recommendations, and can get the In Place Migration with Hardlinking to work just fine, but I need a solution when upgrading the hardware also.

Up until now, I was under the impression that I could create a Computer Association (Source and Destination) and then use a single task sequence to capture the data from one pc, migrate it to a Storage Point, apply the image to a new baremetal machine, and then restore the data to the new machine. I have imported the Side by Side Migration task sequence from ANYWEB, and it does show a single task sequence that will accomplish this...however, I believe you need to pixie boot, and we are unable to pixie boot due to network configuration issues.

Is there a way, to use two separate task sequences to capture data and restore data to a new machine?

I would assume I could create a collection for the source computer and the destination computer...import my baremetal pc and associtate it with the source computer and then advertise the tasks (one to the collections. Would I be able to use boot media for the bare metal machine?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Ray

Well, I think I may have determined what my issue is. I'm still testing, but I think I've made some progress.

Here is an example of how domestic is configured.

C01 <- This is the central site or top level

|

P01 <- This is the US Primary Site Server

| | |

S01 S02 S03 <- These are Secondary Sites at various US locations

So, I was logged into C01 when creating the Computer Associations. While in the console, it was listed as side-by-side like what is shown in the screen shots. However, when completing the capture, it created a new entry labeled as In-Place. After tons or research I came across a little note on Microsoft's documentation that A Site-By-Site is not possible over Parent/Child sites. This got me thinking.

First of call, C01 does not have ANY agents assigned to it nor a distribution point. So, The only other Server with a Console installed is P01. I logged into P01 and created the Side-by-Side computer association for two machines that reside in S01. I did a capture state and sure enough the record was updated and the backup location was listed! Oddly, when I check the computer associations area on C01, it creates two entries that are identical and are labeled as In-Place....no idea what is going on there.

For my next test, I created a Side-by-Side migration of a machine that is in P01 and another in S01. This one did not restore successfully since it could not locate the data. The capture for S01 went to S01's SMP where as the restore for the machine in P01 was looking for it in P01's SMP....which it obviously wasn't at. Just for testing, I copied the backed up folder from S01's SMP to P01's SMP and it was able to locate it and pull it down. However, this also demonstrates that you can only use Side-by-Side migration for machines that talk to the same management point.

P01->P01 Good

S01->S01 Good

S01->P01 Bad

P01->S01 Bad

Obviously, if we did the scanstate and loadstate manually via command line and not using the SMP's there wouldn't be an issue. Or, if all sites used the SAME location for its SMP I could see that potentially working.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this may help others in the future.

Hey,

I am sorry but could you point me to where anyweb has that side-by-side ts? I want to compare it to mine. I pretty much used the MDT 2010 Client Replace task sequence to gather the source. Then used the Standard Client task sequence to try and deploy the image and migrate the user settings to the machine. But it doesnt seems to be working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

We need to do a Windows 7 to Windows 7 migration. We are doing a hardware refresh and want to give users a new laptop/desktop and preserve their settings using USMT. I have read this thread and there is a ton of stuff here. I also read this. I have imported the Side by Side Migration task sequence from ANYWEB where can I download this same task sequence for CM2012?

And is there a basic how-to on doing a side-by-side? Something that covers all the steps? or is it just a hodge-podge of links you have to sift through? Thanks.