shiva2gollu

OSD Task sequence does not start after "Set up Windows and Configmgr"

Question

Hi Guys

Here's my situation. I set up a reference machine with Win 7 Enterprise, Office 2010,all security updates and updated lenovo drivers. Sysprep'd the machine and used Imagex to capture the image "image.wim"

Now I am deploying the captured image with SCCM on a similar hardware. The "Apply Operating System" installs the OS perfectly.But, the "Apply Network Settings", does not join it to the domain. I had the NIC driver installed on the reference machine when I captured it. Looking at smsts.log shows that the machine communicates with the sccm server. I could ping the server as well, so it has the network driver.

After the "Set up windows and configmr" step in my task sequence, the system reboot. After the reboot, the task sequence does not resume and I see the log on screen in windows. When I log in, there is no SCCM Client installed on the machines. I do not see any errors in smsts.log. How should I troubleshoot this issue ? Please let me know if you have any suggestions

Here's my task sequence. THe Apply Driver package contains only the NIC driver, I added it after I had problem deploying the image. I have tried the task sequence by disabling this step as well and the results remain the same.

25851847.png

smsts.log

5 answers to this question

Hi,

Couple of questions...

1. after imaging did you find that NIC driver isnt installed?

2. Is the NIC driver included in the Boot Image?

After looking at the log where drivers are being injected.. it seems like your using the wrong drivers or you havent packaged the drivers you imported to the system.

hope this helps

The NIC driver is installed after imaging.

Yes, it is part of boot image as well.

The reference machine (Lenovo T410) I built has all the correct drivers from Lenovo updates.

Hi,

Couple of questions...

1. after imaging did you find that NIC driver isnt installed?

2. Is the NIC driver included in the Boot Image?

After looking at the log where drivers are being injected.. it seems like your using the wrong drivers or you havent packaged the drivers you imported to the system.

hope this helps

Do you have the Lenovo drivers added to your SCCM environment? With SCCM OSD, generally we try to allow the processes to inject the drivers on-the-fly and not build them into the image itself. This allows you/us to make a more flexible image.

Have you tried building your reference machine and then just creating and using the SCCM Capture Wizard CD? This process runs sysprep as part of the capture process (even better, look into creating a Build and Capture task sequence to make it all hands-free).

Also, is this your first attempt at SCCM OSD, or do your other OS task sequences work fine?

No, only the NIC driver has been added to the SCCM driver package. We generally run an application "Lenovo Updates" that downloads and installs the latest drivers and that is how the reference machine was built.

I tried doing a SCCM capture, but this does not copy all the custom settings, such as Taskbar Icons, Pagefile,power options and all that stuff to the default profile. These settings need to be copied to default profile so that any user who logs into the machine gets the same settings.

Yes this is my first attempt at SCCM OSD.

-----------

I sysprep'd a reference machine and captured new image using Imagex. This image deployed via SCCM joins the domain. I guess I did not sysprep the machine in Audit mode. This new image joins the domain but some of my configuration settings are missing, such as taskbar icons and internet explorer settings.

When I deploy the same wim file manually through a USB it works great. Is SCCM overriding my changes or something ? How do I get this to work.

Do you have the Lenovo drivers added to your SCCM environment? With SCCM OSD, generally we try to allow the processes to inject the drivers on-the-fly and not build them into the image itself. This allows you/us to make a more flexible image.

Have you tried building your reference machine and then just creating and using the SCCM Capture Wizard CD? This process runs sysprep as part of the capture process (even better, look into creating a Build and Capture task sequence to make it all hands-free).

Also, is this your first attempt at SCCM OSD, or do your other OS task sequences work fine?

Using an Unattend.xml file solved this problem for me.

Create an Unattend.xml file by using Windows System Image manager

1. Load Windows 7 Enterprise WIM file (install.wim)

2. select which components or packages you want changed during OSD to include in your answer file(example: Regional Settings, Do not clear Taskbar, Copy Profile (good for syspreping!))

3. Save your answer file as Unattend.xml or watever.xml

4. Create a new package only if you dont have an existing Custom Settings package in SCCM

5. edit your Task Sequence, under Apply Operating System Image --> tick Use an Unattend or sysprep answer file.

6. Locate your Unattend.xml

this will give you control.