DizzleSizzle

Bootstrap Files not present

Question

Well today i noticed one of my other Admins had added a operating system image within the smspxeimages$ share. Now my WDS is not properly functioning...both the x86 and x64 SMS\boot folders are empty. I have re-started the WDS service and nothing. Seems like it can't extract the bootstrap files from the bootPE images i have added to the PXE DP. I tried removing the BootPE's from the PXEDP and re-adding them and still no luck. i restarted WDS again and still the folders are empty. I tried adding the files in from the same SCCM SP2 R2 server in my test lab which got me further in the PXE. Rather then saying no boot file it brought me all the way to the f12 portion then got some funky error about BCD could determine the OS. Is there anyway to get the WDS service back to normal, being that it will extract the bootstrap files from the BootPE in the smspxeimages share and populate back to the sms\boot folder.

2 answers to this question

thanks for the help, i went the easy route first and just renamed the PXEBOOT and BOOT folder in windows\temp folder to .old. added both x86 and x64 bootPE's back to PXE DP and finally WDS extracted the bootstrap files from them. PXE back and working. I am still having issues though trying to figure out how to assign a task sequence to only PXE. I tried finding how to advertise a TS only to Windows 2000 machines since i don't have any of them within my environment but no luck..