DizzleSizzle

Deploying Symantec Endpoint Protection with Task Sequence

Question

Hello All,

In need of some help...I am in the process of deploying Windows 7 via SCCM OSD. Everything works great image comes down without issues, installs the SCCM client without issue ect..but i also have one software package install as the final step of the TS which is Symantec Endpoint Protection. I tried using the self contained exe file that has everything loaded within for server location and predefined policies...but the TS displays as it is going to install but just skips over with no error at all. nothing ever gets installed. I then tried using the msi rather then the loaded exe, well this time it runs the MSI but never finishes....anyone have any advice for this?

7 answers to this question

Hello All,

In need of some help...I am in the process of deploying Windows 7 via SCCM OSD. Everything works great image comes down without issues, installs the SCCM client without issue ect..but i also have one software package install as the final step of the TS which is Symantec Endpoint Protection. I tried using the self contained exe file that has everything loaded within for server location and predefined policies...but the TS displays as it is going to install but just skips over with no error at all. nothing ever gets installed. I then tried using the msi rather then the loaded exe, well this time it runs the MSI but never finishes....anyone have any advice for this?

Try this setup /s /v"/l*v log.txt /qn RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

or

msiexec /i "Symantec......msi" /qb /norestart

Also if its an MSI you can add a package from definition, point out to the msi and it will create the installation parameters for you

or

Also if its an MSI you can add a package from definition, point out to the msi and it will create the installation parameters for you

Yeah i tried multiple different attempts with the MSI from definition, just the regular MSIEXEC install with different flags...but every time i use the MSI it never finishes. Just sits there and continues to say installing, you then have to power off the machine. when i use the custom EXE from the SEPM i see it display to install on the task sequence display but it shows for like 2 sec (as it thought it installed successfully in 2 sec) then goes to the next task. doesn't error out and doesn't install anything.

Well i finally figured it out... in case any one else has this issue the fix is really simple. You need to run the package with a drive letter not UNC path and your good. You can deploy the created .exe from SEPM without switches and will install without any issues. The only thing you will notice is that you will always get a program error result in logs when it finishes. this is due to symantec finishing with an error code 1. SCCM needs an error code of 0 for a successful installation. so i created a cmd line to run with the install to add the following line before install %errorlevel%=0 then SCCM will record a successful install.

or

I tried this but end up also getting "Script for Package:SA10008B, Program: SEP failed with exit code 1"

from the execmgr.log,

Successfully prepared command line "C:\Windows\ccmcache\6\setup.exe" /s /v"/l*v log.txt /qn RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

any idea?