Kevin79

Deploy XP like MDT?

Question

I followed Anyweb's guide on building and capturing XP (but it didn't finish). I have a few questions...

For the network drivers, do I import them in to the "Drivers" folder or do I have to do something else with them?

We currently use MDT to deploy images and any computer can be imaged, they just need to boot to PXE. No configuration needed. Once in MDT, they get an option of which task sequence they want to use. Can SCCM be set up like this? I don't want to have to go in and tell SCCCM the MAC address of each computer before putting an image on because we have people in different locations doing them (but they aren't IT people). They also need a menu to choose the type of computer so that the right software is installed (i.e. Lenovo laptops should have the Thinkvantage software loaded).

The build and capture XP TS installs the ConfigMgr client. Should this be part of the image or is it best to have it install after the image is deployed?

When building my image, is it best to not install drivers but instead have SCCM inject them during the deployment?

Can I install XP manually, set up the profiles and stuff how I want them and then capture it? I have some IE favorites I want everyone to have and a default background (users can change after if they want) so I modify the default profile with those changes. Can I do this with SCCM?

2 answers to this question

Update:

I got the original capture working correctly and I've found a way to create a menu for the task sequences. Now I have more questions (on top of the original ones).

I set my task sequences to target computers in the "All Unknown Computers" group so that I don't have to specify the computers ahead of time. Will computers that are already part of SCCM be able to use these task sequences? I.E. A computer needs to have a new setup on it because it isn't working properly.

On my test deployment, the task sequence didn't ask for a computer name. How do I get it to ask for one?

Is there any way to get rid of the page where it asks for a password (even if I don't have one set)?