anyweb

using vNext in a LAB - Part 3. Additional Configuration

In Part 1. of this series we Installed vNext.

In Part 2., we then Configured vNext to use the New AD Site as a boundary and Configured Discovery Methods in vNext.

Now we will install the Reporting Point Role along with some additional roles and configure them.

Perform the following on the vNext server as SMSadmin

Step 1. Install the Fallback Status Point, Reporting Point and Software Catalog Roles

Click on Administration in the Wunderbar, Site Operations, Site Roles and select our vNext server (V01). The current roles are listed. In the Tasks Pane to the right, click on Create Roles

create roles.png

When the New Site Role wizard appears

new site role wizard.png

click on Browse and select our vNext server, click next

site role next.png

Select the following roles from the list:

• Fallback Status Point
  • Reporting Point
  • Software Catalog Web Service Point
  • Software Catalog Web Site Point

following roles.png

click next, and then Accept the defaults for the Fallback Status Point, if you want clients to report their State Messages faster you could set the Throttle Interval to 300 as long as it's only in your LAB but in Production leave the suggested value.

fallback status point role.png

for the Reporting Point Services role, click on Verify to verify your SQL instance, then In the credentials box, select Credentials stored securely in the report server from the drop down menu and use the ReportsUser we created in Part 1, select Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source and then Next

reporting credentials.png

Accept the defaults for Software Catalog Web Service Point

software catalog web service point.png

Leave the defaults for DM

dm.png

click Next again

trusted zone not enabled.png

review the summary, and click next...

roles added.png

click Close when done.

Step 2. Configure SQL Server Reporting Services User permissions

Now that we've installed the new Roles we need to configure security settings in SQL Server Reporting Services User permissions in order to see the reports in vNext otherwise we will be presented with No Items Found.

reports no items found.png

Click on the start menu and right click on Internet Explorer, choose Run As Administrator, answer Yes to the UAC prompt.

run as admin IE.png

when Internet Explorer loads, browse to http://vnext/reports and when the Reports Manager window appears click on the Properties link

reports manager.png

Click on New Role Assignment to add some users

New Role Assignment.png

Enter ReportsUser in the Group or UserName field and select All Roles and click OK

new role assignment added.png

repeat the above for the SMSadmin user

reports users.png

go back into the vNext Console, and refresh the Reports node, you should now see all the reports available.

397 items found.png

don't forget to add the ReportsUser to your security login for the ReportServer and SMS_V01 databases

reportsuser_db.png

and

reports user v01 db.png

Once done, verify the reports work by running a report, such as All Collections, right click on the Report, choose Run

run report.png

the report should look similar to this, if you don't see the report verify you added ReportsUser to the database login/security in SQL.

all collections report.png

• Like 1

After adding a site server to the site, I cannot find a way to remove that site server from the site. It is the same as a site role. Once I create a site role, it doesn't have an option to remove it. Is that something that is still in development or it is my problem not being able to find it.

Ivo

show me a screenshot of what you mean, i only have one site server so obviously can't delete that, have you tried right clicking on the server and see what options you get ?

for site roles, i can select a role, right click and choose delete, do you not see that ?

I followed this guide , but the reports won't generate. only thing which is not clear to me in your guide" if you don't see the report verify you added ReportsUser to the database login/security in SQL."

It says "rendering report" and then "successfully saved the report to database" and comes up "an error occurred while loading the report" I have attached a screenshot of the error. Can you please help? Thanks.

post-6580-0-32904100-1298332995_thumb.jpg

I followed this guide , but the reports won't generate. only thing which is not clear to me in your guide" if you don't see the report verify you added ReportsUser to the database login/security in SQL."

It says "rendering report" and then "successfully saved the report to database" and comes up "an error occurred while loading the report" I have attached a screenshot of the error. Can you please help? Thanks.

check if reporting point is configured correctly and you(user) have access to the database to run the reports (add the reportuser to DB as given in screenshots).

Hi "check if reporting point is configured correctly and you(user) have access to the database to run the reports" how do i check this please?

I have added the reportsuser to the DB as mentioned in the guide (please see attached). one thing I've noticed is , that I have 2 Reportserver DBs(please see attached)

post-6580-0-72880300-1298351522_thumb.jpg

post-6580-0-48029100-1298351533_thumb.jpg