matty3021

PXE Boot error

Question

Hi,

I tried rebuilding one of our laptops this morning, I PXE booted it and it came up with "Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.

I booted another laptop with the sam TS advertised to it, and it booted fine. I have built this laptop many times and the boot image has always worked. I have tried restarting the WDS service also but made no difference.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

I am the SCCM admin so I know no one has changed the boot images. The strange thing is, it boots the laptop on my desk, but not another model.

is the laptop is known or unknown computer ?

I saw this error(BCD error failed) since i have not enabled the unknown computer support in PXE role when an unkown computer tries to boot through LAN. This is one cause of BCD error ,there might be other things to look at it.

I'm a little new to this, just getting my feet wet.. so I'm not sure if this will help or not.

I get that error on occasion when I rework a machine that may have been on the domain under a different name (not 100% sure if this is the cause). Clearing our switches ARP table sometimes helps get me past it.

I hope that this information is helpful, if not.. the website is "windows-noob" so you can't get too upset with me. ;)