Kevin79

Install software on specific computers

Question

I have Lenovo laptops that I want to use with SCCM OSD. Some of the laptops have bluetooth, some don't. Some have fingerprint readers, some don't. Is there a way to only install the bluetooth and fingerprint software on the devices that actually have them? I can't choose a model since it varies (I.E. We have ThinkPad T400s that have bluetooth but not all of them do).

8 answers to this question

I have Lenovo laptops that I want to use with SCCM OSD. Some of the laptops have bluetooth, some don't. Some have fingerprint readers, some don't. Is there a way to only install the bluetooth and fingerprint software on the devices that actually have them? I can't choose a model since it varies (I.E. We have ThinkPad T400s that have bluetooth but not all of them do).

You can create a wmi query to run the bluetooth and fingerprint software on only specific models in Task sequence if it matches the criteria like below.

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE model = 'Thinkpad T400s'

OR 

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE model Like "%ThinkCentre M58%"

You can create a wmi query to run the bluetooth and fingerprint software on only specific models in Task sequence if it matches the criteria like below.

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE model = 'Thinkpad T400s'

OR 

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE model Like "%ThinkCentre M58%"

That won't work because not all of my T400s have bluetooth. Is there a query that will tell if there is bluetooth on the computer?

That won't work because not all of my T400s have bluetooth. Is there a query that will tell if there is bluetooth on the computer?

i just gave you the wmi query to apply the drivers if that matches if the criteria matches. So you can identify the laptop models which have bluetooth feature on it before applying.

i just gave you the wmi query to apply the drivers if that matches if the criteria matches. So you can identify the laptop models which have bluetooth feature on it before applying.

I'm confused. How do I have it search for bluetooth on the computers?

When you type the command "wmic csproduct get name" what is the model name you get on the model with Bluetooth supported ? and also check on the model which is not bluetooth supported, if you get any diffrence then you have luck.

I Think some great application packagers can find the trick by doing the reverse engineering of the Bluetooth application.

When you type the command "wmic csproduct get name" what is the model name you get on the model with Bluetooth supported ? and also check on the model which is not bluetooth supported, if you get any diffrence then you have luck.

I Think some great application packagers can find the trick by doing the reverse engineering of the Bluetooth application.

It looks like Lenovo puts different model numbers for every PC, even if the configuration is the same. I have two identical notebooks with different model names.

It looks like Lenovo puts different model numbers for every PC, even if the configuration is the same. I have two identical notebooks with different model names.

Right, like Kiranmadhavi said with "wmic csproduct get name" you can get the exact type of model you have so for example if you have 2 different T400s you can have 1 sequence with the wmi query: Select * From Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%4567%"

and the second sequence with another query "Select * From Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%3434%"

That's all