anyweb

how can I DEPLOY an image captured using WDS ?

Question

Note: this article assumes that you have previously captured an image using WDS as outlined in the following post: how can I capture an Image using WDS

Part 1 - add boot.wim to WDS

Step 1. Get your Windows Vista DVD ready.

Step 2. Insert the DVD and start WDS (windows deployment services) gui.

Step 3. In the Left Pane of WDS, select boot images

Step 4. In the Right Pane, right click the mouse and choose 'Add Boot Image'.

wds_add_boot_image.JPG

Step 5. In the Add Image Wizard, click the Browse button and browse to the Sources folder on your Vista DVD that you inserted in Step 2.

Step 6. Highlight the file called boot.wim and click Open, once done Click Next

wds_add_sources_boot.JPG

Step 7. In the next window, set the Image name from "Microsoft Windows Longhorn Setup (x86)" to 'Windows Vista/XP WDS deploy'

Step 8. Change the image description to 'Deploy Windows using WDS from windows-noob.com'

wds_deploy_image_metadata.JPG

Step 9. Click next to review the settings, and next again to proceed.

wds_deploy_review.JPG

Step 10. After the file copying is complete click on Finish.

wds_deploy_donw.JPG

so after Part 2 step 4 i now have listed on the right of my "XP Captured Images" TWO images with the same name !!

And my pc still wont do anything other than WDS Capture Image

(i wish we'd gone with Ghost! - this is so ridiculously complicated)

Any tips PLEASE

have you tried refreshing, and have you followed all the steps in the guides properly ?

yes WDS takes some work but once it\s setup its straightforward to manage

Hi,

Here you mention we need the DVD to have Boot Images, but how to get such DVD if your Laptop is shipped without any DVD ?

For example HP Laptop is shipped with Windows 7 and there is no DVD, so i should create the system Image and Burn Disks ? Will that Disks help me ?

OR

I can use any DVD of any model of PC ?

do you have an MSDN or Technet subscription, if so download the ISO version of Windows 7 Enterprise and burn that directly to a DVD,

or there's even a 90 day trial download here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

cheers

niall.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, why you recommend Enterprise DVD ?

For example if i have a DVD of Windows 7 professional (not shipped with HP Laptop, but some other disk) wil lit work ?

do you have an MSDN or Technet subscription, if so download the ISO version of Windows 7 Enterprise and burn that directly to a DVD,

or theres a 90 day trial download here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

cheers

niall.

Hi AnyWeb, thanks for this excellent Guide!

I followed your guide step by step, then I had to inject some drivers to an image, all of that works finally.

It's a bit confusing to me what image to use to make a custom boot.wim, and how to add it in WDS. But ok, after 2 days I found it.

But now there's something bothering me:

When I look in the boot images, I see 2 deployment images ... This I don't understand ...

Could you tell me which is the correct one to use? And can I delete the other one?? (See attached JPG)

You'll see "WDS-Custom500B Deployment" twice, with 2 different dates, while I made only 1 Deployment image on 23/07 ...

I'm a bit stumped here ... dunno which image to use ...

Could you help me please?

Many thanks!!

post-4415-1279872308774_thumb.jpg

Hi AnyWeb, thanks for this excellent Guide!

I followed your guide step by step, then I had to inject some drivers to an image, all of that works finally.

It's a bit confusing to me what image to use to make a custom boot.wim, and how to add it in WDS. But ok, after 2 days I found it.

But now there's something bothering me:

When I look in the boot images, I see 2 deployment images ... This I don't understand ...

Could you tell me which is the correct one to use? And can I delete the other one?? (See attached JPG)

You'll see "WDS-Custom500B Deployment" twice, with 2 different dates, while I made only 1 Deployment image on 23/07 ...

I'm a bit stumped here ... dunno which image to use ...

Could you help me please?

Many thanks!!

I have this same problem with having the 2 boot images. I followed all of his instructions step by step except for doing the sysprep as he does not have a guide for sysprepping xp. I used this guide for sysprepping XP so I am not sure how he did not get duplicate boot images.

When you right click those boot images and look at properties... the one that is the correct date that I did this on is using the file name "Windows XP Capture.wim"

The one that is created on 5/9/2008 is using "boot.wim" so that is the one that I used since it was boot.wim that I pulled from the Vista Business 32bit SP1 cd.

Windows XP Capture.wim is something I did earlier in his step by step guide.

Not sure why I have 2 either..

When I try to image my computer though I get a Boot/BCD error anyways so does not look like it works for me :(

Okay I was able to get it down to where I only have 1 image showing but my problem is that once I actually deploy them image when the computer goes to boot back up after imaging I receive the windows boot manager screen with a \boot\bcd file error 0xc000000f "an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

I have removed WDS 3 times and reinstalled and followed the how-to STEP BY STEP!!! 3 times and still I receive this error everytime after I deploy the image and the computer goes to boot back up.

Any help with how to fix this? What is wrong with my image?