anyweb

how can I setup Zero Touch Installation ?

Question

The most up to date version of this Guide will always be here. Reproduction of this guide is allowed as long as it links back to here

Verify that you have the correct infrastructure in place

Zero Touch Installation (ZTI) requires the following products to be installed in your network infrastructure:-

* Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (or later) - detailed setup guide here

* SMS 2003 - detailed setup guide here

* SMS 2003 OSD Feature Pack Update

* Windows Deployment Services in Windows Server 2003

Note: If you want a Microsoft checklist of the steps required to get ZTI working, see this page on Technet.

Prepare the deployment environment.

For the purpose of this article, I'm assuming that you have already installed and configured SMS 2003 and SQL. In addition this has been tested and verified to be working for Windows Vista RTM (i.e.: I have not tested it with Vista SP1 yet).

Install BDD 2007 and then install USMT either manually by downloading the msi package or by installing it using the Components section of DeploymentWorkbench (the MMC console for BDD 2007). USMT captures desktop, and application settings, as well as user accounts and user files, and then migrates them to a new Windows installation. Next, install the SMS 2003 OSD Feature Pack. Click here to download and install the SMS 2003 OSD Feature Pack Update, once downloaded, double click the exe to extract it somewhere, I extracted it to c:\sms and then ran the OSDeployment_Setup.EXE file from within that folder to install the OSD Feature Pack. Once the feature pack is installed, it's safe to delete the setup folder (c:\sms if you did the same as me).

Once installed, you can start up the SMS Administrator Console and you'll see a new setting in the left pane called Image Packages. You are now ready to setup Zero Touch using the 18 Step guide below.

Zero Touch in 18 Steps

Create an OSD capture CD.

Capture a Vista image (wim). Note: To use separate computernames then read this post.

Import the captured Vista WIM image into BDD.

Import WinPE2004/2005 & required OS files into BDD.

Create a new build in BDD for the captured WIM image.

Create and update the BDD Deployment point (OSD/ZTI).

Update SMS WinPE from the BDD/ZTi deployment point.

Import the captured Vista WIM image into SMS.

Create an OS deploy program.

Update the distribution point for the OS deploy program.

The following four steps in the process are not specific to Zero Touch Installation, but make the distribution of resources easier and more scalable in an enterprise environment.

Copy driver resources for SMS packaging.

Create a package from the driver resources.

Add the driver resources to a distribution point.

Update the SMS distribution point.

Update customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini in BDD.

Update each OSD phase with BDD ZTI files and scripts.

Copy osdshell.lab.exe to osdshell.exe.

Create an install CD.

That's it, you are done !

If you liked this guide and would like to see more FREE guides like it then please help me by Digging it.

3 answers to this question

anyone..

now im already installed and configured server 2003 sp1 successfully. the next step i want to do is installing sms 2003, but i dont know how to configure it -again-.. please show me the step by step of installing sms 2003 sp2.

fyi i already installed sql server 2005 express too

thx..

anyone..

now im already installed and configured server 2003 sp1 successfully. the next step i want to do is installing sms 2003, but i dont know how to configure it -again-.. please show me the step by step of installing sms 2003 sp2.

fyi i already installed sql server 2005 express too

thx..

i didn't use SQL server 2005 express in my example but here is a guide I put together for installing SMS 2003 sp2

This guide assumes that you have first installed and configured IIS and then installed SMS as outlined here. In addition, you should have configured SMS and you should have completed the final configuration and naturally your clients should have the SMS client installed (that should happen automatically if you followed parts 1-3 correctly). Finally to test your SMS 2003 installation you should test the deployment of an application like Firefox.

SQL Express edition should be enough in a lab environment with a few machines. SQL Express edition does not support replication so if you develop an SMS structure with more than 1 site using SQL Express edition it will not work.

cheers

anyweb