UnivLyon

No F12

Question

Hi,,

First, excuse my english, I'm french.

Here's my problem : We're using MDT and WDS. Prviously, we were using ghost. It had a big advantage that I try to reproduce : Reboot a computer and make it boot on the network.

Basically, I want to reinstall a computer. I want to do it like that :

- Wake on Lan : no problem, the PC boot and start Windows.

- Reboot the PC and make it start on the network WITHOUT pressing F12 (ghost do that, and when you have multiple computers (I work on a high school), it's goooood...

- then using the database of MDT, all is automatic

so my question is : Do you know a script (or even a program, but I prefer a script if it exists) that can reboot a computer from windows and make it boot on the network without having to press F12 ?

Thx for your help !

7 answers to this question

Hi,,

First, excuse my english, I'm french.

Here's my problem : We're using MDT and WDS. Prviously, we were using ghost. It had a big advantage that I try to reproduce : Reboot a computer and make it boot on the network.

Basically, I want to reinstall a computer. I want to do it like that :

- Wake on Lan : no problem, the PC boot and start Windows.

- Reboot the PC and make it start on the network WITHOUT pressing F12 (ghost do that, and when you have multiple computers (I work on a high school), it's goooood...

- then using the database of MDT, all is automatic

so my question is : Do you know a script (or even a program, but I prefer a script if it exists) that can reboot a computer from windows and make it boot on the network without having to press F12 ?

Thx for your help !

If the computers start in PXe boot,you can configure Boot options in WDS to not ask for Press F12 . If you are in server 2K3,you can replace pxeboot.com with pxeboot.n12 .Is that what you are looking for.

Boot.jpg

If the computers start in PXe boot,you can configure Boot options in WDS to not ask for Press F12 . If you are in server 2K3,you can replace pxeboot.com with pxeboot.n12 .Is that what you are looking for.

post-3797-12870359750648_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but that's not what I mean. I already know this thing, but I want to suppress the first F12 (and I don't want to change boot order in the bios).

Thank you anyway !

Any other ideas ?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but that's not what I mean. I already know this thing, but I want to suppress the first F12 (and I don't want to change boot order in the bios).

Thank you anyway !

Any other ideas ?

Sounds like you're going to have to touch the BIOS at least once to make the network boot the first one.

Depending on the hardware, you may be able to find a tool to deploy that will make BIOS changes for you (we have Dell PCs and there is a utility that can make changes to the BIOS).

Sounds like you're going to have to touch the BIOS at least once to make the network boot the first one.

Depending on the hardware, you may be able to find a tool to deploy that will make BIOS changes for you (we have Dell PCs and there is a utility that can make changes to the BIOS).

thadkew, we use Dell's as well (E6410 laptops and GX780 towers). Can you point me in the direction of the BIOS tool? We want it to turn CompuTrace on in the BIOS for the laptop and add the Onboard NIC and "Enable w/ PXE" to ours. I know you can have Dell preconfigure it, but if there is a tool that does it, I'd love to try it out.

You can get it by searching "Dell Client Configuration Utility" on the Dell site.

Here's the direct link.

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=RC978219&l=en&s=slg&releaseid=R264520&formatcnt=0&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=388871

It creates a settings.exe file that I run at the end of the task sequence (under the condition that it only run on model=%780)

(It will give an error in the deployment summary, but i believe that's only because it is not giving a "0" at the end of the "install")