Sarah

More than 1 SUP in SCCM

Question

I am implementing Forefront and will apply the definitions via SCCM. My WSUS (SUP) server in SCCM is Windows 2008 R2. The distribution server for Forefront does not support R2. Can I install another WSUS server in SCCM as a Software Update Point? This will save me rebuilding my current SUP server.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

I don't see/ get the problem... If your are going to distribute via SCCM, then what does it matter that the distribution server of Forefront doesn't support R2?

You could deploy the updates like described here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd185652.aspx

• Like 1

When I set up WSUS for SCCM, the guidance was that WSUS was to be installed but not configured. To deploy Forefront updates, the guidance says that this should be handled via WSUS and not SCCM. Here I have a conflict of information as both need to be on the same WSUS server.

Can you clarify my understanding?

That is indeed normally correct, unless you follow the guidance in the Technet article. It's even a supported scenario since recently. Besides this it's the only way, knowning that a client can only be assigned to one WSUS/ SUP (and using SCCM it's not possible to create auto aprove rules).

• Like 2