hybrid

Windows 7 backup options

Question

A system running Windows XP that I'm responsible for is going to be replaced by a Windows 7 system soon.

Right now, it is backed up using the rather old, but trusty PowerQuest Drive Image 7 (right before Symantec bought PowerQuest and Norton Ghost killed off the Drive Image product!) I imagine, though, that DI7 is unlikely to run under Windows 7, and almost certainly won't under a 64-bit version of Windows 7, so I need to look into other backup options.

I am aware that Windows 7 comes with its own 'Backup and Restore' software, which seems to support the backing up of files and folders, OS configuration, and doing a whole image of a drive as well.

I need a backup solution:

• To be able to make a full image backup
  • To have that image backup be able to be restored into 'free space' on an already partitioned drive
  • Preferably, to support extraction of individual files from that whole-drive image

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether the built-in backup functionality of Windows 7 is likely to meet those needs, or if there are other tools that I should consider instead? Does anyone have any experience of using the Windows 7 built-in backup software? Is it any good, or is it worth getting dedicated software for this purpose?

Thanks for any help.

3 answers to this question

windows 7 backup and restore options are very cool, i've just done a quick test of it and i think it'll fit your needs

take a look at this link for details

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

windows 7 backup and restore options are very cool, i've just done a quick test of it and i think it'll fit your needs

take a look at this link for details

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

Thanks for taking a look, and for the link. I'd still welcome anyone else's experiences with the software, but it does look like with a bit of familiarisation, this will probably fit the bill. :)

I am afraid windows 7 backup can't let you extract of individual files from that whole-drive image. And event it maybe hard if you wish to restore image to free partition drive. If windows 7 think the destination you choose the not the perfect one it thinks. windows 7 backup and restore might refuse to do this.

Try a windows free backup and restore software: support full backup. You can run backup jobs by right click what you wish to include in this backup without running this program. You can even choose to restore part of or whole files of a image file under Windows explorer. I think this is the best you should own. thy easeus backup product. its free edition is of power.