fred19

Using USMT 3.0 and USMT 4.0 in SCCM 2007 SP2

Question

Greetings,

I have a question regarding using USMT 3.0 /4.0 with SCCM and i am kind of confused on what would be the best approach for our infrastructure.

We have been using MDT 2010 for our OSD (using litetouch) and i was asked to get the integration with SCCM in place and also start doing some test with USMT.

We need to use USMT for the following scenarios:

1-Windows XP - Windows XP (USMT 3.0)

2-Windows XP - Windows 7 (USMT 4.0)

3-Windows 7 - Windows 7 (USMT 4.0)

I have create MDT Task Sequence in SCCM and with modifications to the state capture and state restore i was able to get scenarios 2-3 to work without any issues.

For scenario 1, i read the guide created by Niall and i'm still unclear if that would be the best thing to put in place, would there be any way to use a single task sequence that would determine which version of USMT shall be used?

If you think that i should be creating seperate TS to use both version could you please give me more details about the following section in your guide

"When I test USMT with a SMP I separate the scanstate (capture) and loadstate (restore) sections of a task sequence into two separate task sequences targetted to two separate collections"

If i understand correcly, your first task sequence will only do the capture and the second one do the restore once the OS has been deployed? if so how should the 2 task sequence should be configure?

Thanks for your help much appreciated

1 answer to this question

in order to cover the different scenarios mentioned in your post you'll have to get creative,

the following should be possible however

1-Windows XP - Windows XP (USMT 3.0) - standard process using methods i've described already or customise to your hearts content

--Custom Frontend HTA--

2-Windows XP - Windows 7 (USMT 4.0)

3-Windows 7 - Windows 7 (USMT 4.0)

the custom frontend hta simply gives you or a technician some choicse prior to executing, and the choices could be Reinstallation or New Installation, this hta will set a variable which in turn is checked for in your tasksequence in separate groups called Reinstallation and New Installation

for New Installation, set the options to check for 'This option will run in the following task sequence variable DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER and for Reinstallation set the variable to DeploymentType=REFRESH

the actual steps in those groups will of course vary and you'll have to test it in your environment as all environments are different,

if i get time in the future i will put together a simple example but to get you started you'll need to enable HTA support in your boot image

also, check out some of the custom frontends floating about on the internet plus checkout Maik Kosters web services, you'll most likely need them for this to work professionally.

cheers

niall