ChandanOmkar

Win XP to Win7 upgrade and Replace - Task sequence not executing

Question

Hi,

I am working with SCCM 2007 and currently i am working on XP to Win7 upgrade and replace scenario.

In this task i am facing a problem regarding the TS. The TS is not getting executed in the client machines.

Everything is working fine in SCCM, like installing of fresh win 7 through OSD, software distribution.

The problem is that the USMT process does not start on client. Do i need to add any program in the created USMT package. What are the possible causes for this?

My task consists of the following :

capture the user state

applying the captured Win7 image on the pc

restoring the user state

also the application settings should get restore [e.g. outlook and its rules also]

Thanks

Chandan Omkar

I also don't get the part that "the USMT process doesn't start". Because looking at these logs I see a working scanstate, which means that USMT is used/ started. So what exactly is going wrong? Maybe you can post you smsts.log

I was facing the problem that the TS was not starting in the client machine. Once it has started and then i have got the above attached log files, but the after few seconds TS failed with error 0x8004005.

Now again the TS is not executing in the client machine.

I am attaching the client's smsts.log file.

smsts.log

I think there has to be another one...

During my XP to win 7 upgrade the following is happenning :

User state captured

wim file applied

user state restore process finished

i have logged in

but the user state was not restored.

I am attaching the log file. I have used hardlinking as well as SMP but in either case it was not restored.

smsts.log

I read in the logfile that you are using the /nocompress /hardlink options in combination with Request State Store. This can be a reason why it fails, as a Request for a State Store will always fail in combination with hardlinks. Hardlinks are stored locally so there is no need for a request.

• Like 1

I read in the logfile that you are using the /nocompress /hardlink options in combination with Request State Store. This can be a reason why it fails, as a Request for a State Store will always fail in combination with hardlinks. Hardlinks are stored locally so there is no need for a request.

I have used the same TS XML file for hardlink which is provided by Windows Noob by Niall. in the following link :

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1633-sample-xp-to-windows-7-task-sequences/

Also Niall has specified to add /harlink / nocompress in the following link :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/1908f07d-5b60-4691-8e57-efa9087cdac2

please help i am so confused and i have a tight dead line too.

if you look here

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1633-sample-xp-to-windows-7-task-sequences/

there are two task sequences, one is for hardlinking the other is SMP, which one are you using ? (request state store is in the SMP one...but not the other)

if you look here

there are two task sequences, one is for hardlinking the other is SMP, which one are you using ? (request state store is in the SMP one...but not the other)

i have used the one which was for hardlinking. Also i have added the auto login.

Now i have used the same TS which was posted by Niall but the user state again does not get restored.

I am attaching the TS and the log files.

Please check.

smsts.log

TS-Xpto7-Hardlink.xml