Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
Lokiarmos

Application Advertisment not displaying

Recommended Posts

OK I have a beta test environment with the following configuration.

 

  • Server 2008R2 Enterprise x64 AD Server (2008R2 Forest Level)
  • Server 2008R2 Enterprise x64 SCCM R2 (Primary Site, Mixed Mode, DP)
  • Windows 7 Enterprise x64

 

The SCCM server has been built using the guide as found on this forum as well as documents supplied by TrueSec.

 

I have been able to complete the following.

  • Create and Grab a Reference Image
  • Deploy Grab Reference Image to a Manually Imported Client to a particular collection
  • Create Application Packages (I have created the firefox package as per the instructions in the firefox tut)
  • Created a Task Sequence for Deploying a series of applications (Following instructions from here)

 

The Tasks and one of the applications have been advertised, I have not set any mandatory settings at present.

 

I have checked the events for the advertisements and there are no errors generated and and i have checked the components and there are no errors logged there either. I have also checked the distribution points and there are no errors there either.

 

But when i go to the client and do a refresh of the policies via the Configuration Manager Properties i do not get any notice that applications are available. And if i look under the Run Advertised Programs there is no advertised packages.

 

In regards to the collection i have linked the collection to the query that assigned any computer that belongs to a particular group. The Client was also linked to the collection via a direct link.

I think it has something do with the collection, i have advertised an application to the "All Desktops and Servers" Collection and the advertisement appears when i do a refresh on the machine.

 

i have looked through the logs but can't really see any thing that looks like an error.

 

I am new at SCCM and i can normally get my head around most things but this has got me stumped.

Can someone please advise on where to go next, is there particular logs i should be looking at, things that i need to check on either the SCCM or Client machine.

 

Thanks.

 

**Update

 

I have

  • Removed all reference of the client in question from the database.
  • Ensured that the client was in the correct security group.
  • Removed the direct link criteria in the collection.
  • Rerun both the System Group Discovery and System Discovery.
  • Refreshed the Collections Membership and Confirmed that the client appears in the collection
  • Refreshed the policies on the client.

 

After all this i still only see the application that i have published to the "All Desktops and Servers" Collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


OK I have finally resolved this.

 

It was a compound of a couple of problems.

 

  1. There was a duplication of the Client in SCCM
  2. The Client was not reporting as being installed
  3. The SCCM was having a DNS Issue

 

I removed the duplication of the client and refreshed the collections, this lead me to the client not been reported as Installed As guided by this doc Advertised Applications are not appearing in Run Advertised Programs.

 

After Following that doc, checking the logs on the client finding nothing there and then uninstalling and reinstalling did i find a few errors on the SCCM server

  • It could not contact the client becuase of the firewall
  • the SCCM server was having a DNS resolver issue

 

the first one was easy, turning off the firewall resolved this, the second i found with the help of this doco SCCM 2007 R2 Unable to connect to WMI on remote machine error = 0x800706ba

 

After this i could restart the installer service (Yes it uses a service to install it, would of thought that it would just use a schedule task) and the client installed.

 

Refreshed the collections and the client could then see all the install packages.

 

The interesting thing is the microsoft docs had nothing on these problem in they troubleshooting guide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the SCCM server was having a DNS resolver issue <-

 

yeah that problem will cause a lot of things to fail and i've seen it many times, if you are having DNS issues then not only SCCM will have problems but other server services also,

 

nslookup will quickly identify if you are having dns issues and after setting up a virtual or real environment for the first time i always verify if DNS is working before proceeding with my configmgr (sccm) install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...