Vancouverite

Mass Storage Driver Problem

Question

I'm currently having some problems adding a mass storage driver to my task sequence for the deployment of an XP SP3 image. The computer is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M52 and, as far as I've been able to establish, the driver that I need is the Intel 82801 GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA driver. I've downloaded it, imported it into SCCM and added it to my driver package. The package has then been pushed out to the DP.

But when I go into the task sequence and try to add this driver at the “Select the mass storage driver within the package that needs to be installed before setup on pre-Vista operating systems” option, it just doesn't appear in the drop-down list. I'm aware of the old issue with Class=hdc drivers in pre-SP1 but I'm running SP2, so I really didn't expect this to happen. I tried the old trick of editing the .inf file to change the Class to SCSIAdapter and re-importing it, but that made no difference at all. It's still not there.

I've built other task sequences, including one recently for an HP8100 and that worked exactly as expected with the imported mass storage driver being available, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening with just this particular driver.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

5 answers to this question

can you show me a screenshot of the step you are using, i assume you are specifying the package with the drivers using an Apply Driver Package step?

But when I go into the task sequence and try to add this driver at the “Select the mass storage driver within the package that needs to be installed before setup on pre-Vista operating systems” option, it just doesn't appear in the drop-down list.

Is anything appearing in the list, or is it just missing the driver for your storage controller?

If nothing is appearing, then your mass storage controller driver doesn't have a TXTSETUP.OEM file. This file is required to tell the task that it's a text mode driver. Without it, a the drop down list will always be empty.

If you don't recognize the driver, then you'll have to get the device ID and match it to something in the INF file. You can also use this method to see if your driver even supports that controller.

I've attached a text file. If you rename it to VBS and run it, it will spit out a text file with some information about the storage controller (and some other stuff). I use this when I'm prepping a new model for XP deployments. If you're having problems, the output of this script might help you identify the driver that you need. Just make sure it has that TXTSETUP.OEM is in whatever driver you grab.

• Like 1

can you show me a screenshot of the step you are using, i assume you are specifying the package with the drivers using an Apply Driver Package step?

Thanks for your reply. I'm attaching the screenshot.

I think that Joe has hit on the problem.

Is anything appearing in the list, or is it just missing the driver for your storage controller?

If nothing is appearing, then your mass storage controller driver doesn't have a TXTSETUP.OEM file. This file is required to tell the task that it's a text mode driver. Without it, a the drop down list will always be empty.

If you don't recognize the driver, then you'll have to get the device ID and match it to something in the INF file. You can also use this method to see if your driver even supports that controller.

I've attached a text file. If you rename it to VBS and run it, it will spit out a text file with some information about the storage controller (and some other stuff). I use this when I'm prepping a new model for XP deployments. If you're having problems, the output of this script might help you identify the driver that you need. Just make sure it has that TXTSETUP.OEM is in whatever driver you grab.

I had previously noticed that there wasn't a TXTSETUP.OEM file for this driver but I'd assumed (hoped) that wouldn't matter. Obviously I was wrong. I'll go hunting in the .inf file to see if I can find the device, but if I do find it, what would be the next step after that? How would that let me import it?

Also, I'm afraid that I can't see your attached script.

Thanks for your help.

post-7520-12883620124383_thumb.jpg

I am having the same problem and it is because this machine (and for me the S50 & S51) do not use AHCI drivers as they use ICH5 & ICH6 ATA controller. Because of this there is no pull-down menu as you would see in the newer drivers (IHC7 and newer). At this point I am not sure where the problem is, I can see the drivers in the Chipset drivers but it doesn't inject them into the image or at least the ATA driver isn't picked up. I have another thread on this very topic so maybe you will see a reply there before here..... http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3854-windows-xp-gold-image-not-working-on-all-machines/

Joe's solution was spot on! Uploaded the OEM file and SCCM now recognizes the driver and allows me to select it.