kcdinga

Best Practice - Patching an existing image

Question

Hello everyone,

A couple months ago, we had Neil Peterson from Microsoft into the office to help us with a couple of SCCM 2007 R2 items. One thing we talked about is patching the Windows 7 Image every couple of months, to cut down on build time.

I am currently working on a task sequence that will accomplish this task.

I am using Windows Virtual PC, and have set up a new VSD that will boot to my Capture.iso

The task sequence will do the following:

Build Reference Machine

1. Restart in Windows PE

2. Partition Disk

3. Apply the Windows 7 WIM that we are currently using

4. Apply Windows Settings

5. Apply Network Settings - Joining to a Workgroup

6. Apply Device Drivers

7. Set up Windows and ConfigMgr - During this step, we use the FSP="SCCM SERVER NAME" and SMSSLP="SCCM SERVER NAME"

8. Install Software Updates - Have it set to Mandatory Software Updates

Capture The Reference Machine

1. Prepare ConfigMgr Client

2. Prepare OS

3. Capture the Reference Machine - Caputres WIM to network location

I would like to get some input on what everyone else is doing? Or if anyone sees issues with this task. I can start this task at night, before going home, and it finishes by the time I get to the office in the morning. I then just have to copy to my Distro Points.

So how is everyone else accomplishing this task?

Thanks,

Ray

5 answers to this question

sounds like the way we do it, except that we build from the installation source (step 3) and then install FAT apps like office 2010, SAP, SEP etc, before the capture

in addition, why (in step 8.) are you only installing mandatory updates ?

cheers

niall

sounds like the way we do it, except that we build from the installation source (step 3) and then install FAT apps like office 2010, SAP, SEP etc, before the capture

in addition, why (in step 8.) are you only installing mandatory updates ?

cheers

niall

When I patch, I only patch the Security Updates. It actaully has been a discussion around her for a bit. I believe Mandatory files are the patches that I have downloaded and deployed (correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks for the post...it helps to know I am on the right track.

I believe Mandatory files are the patches that I have downloaded and deployed (correct me if I am wrong).

Not totally correct...

Mandatory software updates - Mandatory software updates have administrator-defined deadlines for installation.

All software updates - All available software updates will be installed on the target computers.

Not totally correct...

Mandatory software updates - Mandatory software updates have administrator-defined deadlines for installation.

All software updates - All available software updates will be installed on the target computers.

Ahh...thanks Peter, I will make that change then.

Does anyone see a problem patching my previous wim file? rather than creating a new from source files? We have a couple of special configs that I couldnt accomplish with the unattend.xml file, so this way, I do not have to use the unattend.xml with each patch update for the image.

Thanks,

Ray