sccm_freak

guidelines for software deployments

Question

hi there

what is the best practice for the following :

1) i have 20 apps that will be targeted to different computers in different departments as an example comp A will have 3 apps , and comp b will have 5 APPS including the ones on comp A , comp C will have 7 different apps and so on , how to categorize , whats the best and most efficient way so that i wont create alot of packages or programs ...etc

2) i have lets say office 2003 and i wana upgrade it to 2010 , is it necessary to uninstall 2003 then install 2010 or just install 2010 and it will wipe 2003 ...etc , my problem is if i wana repair that APP do i need to have a different package with different switches ? cant i combine the same app with the switch of uninstall , repair and install all at once ?

if i wana install winrar then uninstall it in a later stage then repair for another will i need 3 different packages for that ?

thanks

4 answers to this question

1) i have 20 apps that will be targeted to different computers in different departments as an example comp A will have 3 apps , and comp b will have 5 APPS including the ones on comp A , comp C will have 7 different apps and so on , how to categorize , whats the best and most efficient way so that i wont create alot of packages or programs ...etc

I would do it using AD security Groups. Create AD sec groups based on application naming and add the computers to it who requestd this .

Create a collection based on AD sec group with application product ID to check if the computers are part of AD sec Group and doesnt have the app installed (with product ID).

Create package,adverise it on to the collection. The same process repeats for all applications.

Here is nice guide explianed more about it . http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/677-automatic-removal-of-applications/

This can also be done using Task sequence. http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1952-webcast-%232-dynamically-installing-applications-in-sccm/

2) i have lets say office 2003 and i wana upgrade it to 2010 , is it necessary to uninstall 2003 then install 2010 or just install 2010 and it will wipe 2003 ...etc , my problem is if i wana repair that APP do i need to have a different package with different switches ? cant i combine the same app with the switch of uninstall , repair and install all at once ?

if i wana install winrar then uninstall it in a later stage then repair for another will i need 3 different packages for that ?

You can create uninstall program for Office 2003 and create package for Office 2010 ,set the program properties(advanced) run another program first before office 2010 runs where it will run Office 2003 to remove and then install Office 2010.