Puck009

Problems installing Distribution Points in v.Next/SCCM2012

Greetings everyone.

I hoping someone here can help me find a solution to my problem.

I have successfully managed to build a Windows 2008 R2 Server along with v.Next/SCCM2012 - Thanks to the wonderful guides found on this site. My problem is that ALL of the distribution points that I have tried to create have failed.

I receive the following messages:

SMS Distribution Manager failed to initialize the network abstraction layer (NAL).

Possible cause: SMS Distribution Manager cannot access the NAL.

Solution: Use the SMS Service Manager to enable logging for SMS Distribution Manager. Then, investigate the log file for specific NAL errors. Refer to your SMS documentation or the Microsoft Knowledge Base for further troubleshooting information.

and

SMS Distribution Manager failed to process package

Possible cause: Distribution manager does not have access to either the package source directory or the distribution point.

Solution: Verify that distribution manager can access the package source directory/distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system.

Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility.

Possible cause: There is not enough disk space available on the site server computer or the distribution point.

Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space available on the site server computer and on the distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files that might be in use by an active process.

Solution: Close any processes that maybe using files in the source directory. If this failure persists, create an alternate copy of the source directory and update the package source to point to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

is it out of disk space ? how did you create your dp's ? which guides were you following as a matter of interest ? (i'm running a series right now)

I actually followed the series that you wrote. They were very well written...thanks for those.

From Administration >> Site Operations >> Sites..

I tried creating server shares, Entered UNC path of server and FQDN. Enabled the site system as a protected site system. Allowed clients to transfer content from the distribution point using BITS.

I also tried creating Secondary Sites (followed prompts)...This also failed

Under Security and Permissions >> Distribution Points..

My Primary Site (Server) shows the name, type and free disk space.

The Server Shares, however, shows free disk space as 'Unknown'.

Incidently, the servers in which I am trying to set up the Distribution Points are Windows 2008 32bit. From what I had read, this was ok for Distribution Points.

The servers have approximately 450 gigs of free space.

I deleted 1 of my distribution points and recreated a server share without the "protected site" designation. I assigned it as a distribution point and allowed clients to transfer content using BITS.

The Wizard completes successfully.

This time, there is is no status under free disk space. The SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER show the following message:

SMS Distribution Manager failed to initialize the network abstraction layer (NAL). (same message I jotted down in the first post.)

Hello,

I have the same message when I update my DP, (Failed To Initialized NAL)

All my logs (Component status & distmgr.log) advice me to check that the Distribution Manager have the right to access my DP, so I have cheked :

- that my SMS computer account have the local administrative right on my DP,

- that the administrative share Admin$ have not been removed,

- that my MP can ping my DP by FQDN,

- that the package's name are not to long,

- I have freed my storage of more than 10 GB.

I can't no more obtain data from the report Tools that concern Software Distribution - Content, that display a Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException type error

I have enable NAL logging on my MP but I don't know how to view those logs events

Does anybody knows ?

Please advices