jigzs

SCOM 2007 agent distribtion \ Discovery

Question

5 answers to this question

thats where sccm comes in, have a collection which queries if the agent is not installed if it isnt install the agent, i have a query here i'll dig it up and post it if i can find it

thats where sccm comes in, have a collection which queries if the agent is not installed if it isnt install the agent, i have a query here i'll dig it up and post it if i can find it

Thanks. That sounds great. But we dont want to roll it out to Windows 7 or other workstation. Only servers. I guess in the query we will have to add the operating system as well. I will wait your query.

naturally i mean servers only :)

and here's a query

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion like "%Server%" and SMS_G_System_OPERATING_SYSTEM.Caption not like "%Microsoft Windows 2000%" and SMS_R_System.Active = 1 and SMS_R_System.Obsolete = 0 and SMS_R_System.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup = "xxxx"

change xxxx to your Domain name, this collection will contain All servers except Windows 2000 servers. You can then target that collection with an advertisement to install the agent\

setup the advertisement with the following schedule

scom agent.png

and the code for installing the agent (can be wrapped in a vbs)

check if the software is installed already

If (RegistryKeyExists("HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Healthservice\")) Then

If (ManagedStateCheck(IsManaged)) Then
			' Software is all ready installed
			WriteToEventViewer "I", PackageName, "Installation was skipped." & vbCrLf & "Server has software installed already."
			WScript.quit
		Else

if it isn't, then isntall it (windows server 2008)

64 bit agent -

MOMAgent64.msi ALLUSERS=2 /m MSIWQT9I /q /l*v %SYSTEMROOT%\TEMP\SMS_MOM_Agent_Install.log USE_MANUALLY_SPECIFIED_SETTINGS=0

32 bit agent -

MOMAgent.msi ALLUSERS=2 /m MSIWQT9I /q /l*v %SYSTEMROOT%\TEMP\SMS_MOM_Agent_Install.log USE_MANUALLY_SPECIFIED_SETTINGS=0

you'll have to figure out what vbs or other code works best in your environment, this is just helping advice