BogdanR

SCCM 2007 with SQL remote - Failed

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this great forum.

I`m trying to install SCCM 2007 SP2 with SQL 2008 remote ( btw all my machines are vhd`s, I`m using Hyper-V )

My infrastructure looks like this:

1 SQL Server Std. 2008 SP2 x64 – Windows Server 2008 x64

1 Domain Controller - Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64

1 SCCM 2007 SP2 - Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64

Each machine is installed separately.

Firewall is OFF, I have all prerequisites installed for the SCCM 2007 server, WSUS 3.0 SP2 is installed on the same server with SCCM.

I add the SCCM computer account to the local admins on the SQL server

When I try to install SCCM 2007, I receive this error:

sccmerror.jpg

If I check my prerequisites or I try to install SCCM 2007, I also get this error on the SQL Logs:

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors.. [CLIENT: 192.168.1.5]

Error: 18456, Severity:14, State:11

I`ve tried to follow this link right here, but still no luck :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2010/10/26/troubleshooting-duplicate-or-missing-spns-for-a-configmgr-2007-sql-database.aspx

I also add an SQL login: NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users , but that doesn`t help either

Adding NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON as SQL login, solved the problem with installing SCCM, but when I erase it, the SCCM console failed:

sccm.png

I suspect the SPN (service principal name) is not set as it should, but I`m not sure this is the main problem.

Maybe someone else could kindly help me solving this issue.

Thank you,

Greetings.

Hello anyweb,

Fair question, but in my case, I have a separate SQL server, and I kinda forced to install SCCM 2007 this way.

By remote I mean SQL is installed on another machine.

I have to agree with you 100 % plus the Best practice for ConfigMgr is you have SQL locally ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/bb735870.aspx )

Of course, I know it would be much easier with both SQL and SCCM installed on the same server, but this isn`t possible for now, for licensing reasons only so it`s not really up to me to call the shots unfortunately.

Thank you.

Hello,

I think I found the solution, it was simple enough, actually it was in front of me all this time.

You just have to follow this link, and read it carefully: How to Configure an SPN for SQL Server Site Database Servers

Once the SPN is created all you have to do is to open SQL Server Configuration Manager and change SQL Server service account with the new SPN

Still, I`m not sure if I have to change the other SQL services as well ( FullText Search, Browser and Agent ) ?

Greetings.