Shweta

Release User storage -Error Code: 0x00004005

Question

I have created packaged for USMT 4.0 from ProgramFiles\WindowsAIK\Tools\USMT folder and dsitributed it. I have also configured SMP

and provided the value where the data will get stored and while creating TS i check the option use state migration option to save the data.

On the workstation,i have client agent installed ,is in domain and i am advertising it directly under ALL Windows XP collection since there is only one machine

whih i need to migrate from XP to Windows 7, so i havent created any new collection.

Also i am not using computer association.

i am bit confused with the steps invloved while doing USMT , is there need to use the .xml files or the default settings are enough.

Secondly can anyone pls help /provide me the steps to go ahead as i am getting 0x00004005 error when the TS is progressing Release User Storage.

2 answers to this question

4005 is generally a permissions error. I'd confirm the permissions are correct on your smp share and your usmt packages to start with :-)

The smp folder is already shared and has rights. Does USMT folder needs to be shared as i have use the Local drive seeeting while creating the package for USMT.

Also in System Status, SMP component is marked red even if istart the service, how to do resolve the error.Tried resetting all the couts(Errors & warnings).

I also was able to get some help from the link

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1007-state-migration-point-not-working/

as in the status message it was showing the same error related to hhtp but no success.

Any suggestion.