marine87

XP to 7 using Hardlinks - Not restoring the hardlink data

Question

Hello everyone, I'm new here but am finding the info very useful. I'm fairly new to SCCM but do use it regularly for imaging machines. I have been given the task of finding a way to upgrade our current XP machines to 7 and preserving the user data, such as documents, pictures, desktop items, etc. I'm using one of the task sequence's I found on this site and have tried it out on an XP machine, and I see that it does copy user data and then it will reboot and install 7, but when I check to see if the user files are on the computer, they are no where to be found...It seems I'm just missing the piece to restore the data and/or is there something you have to do to the image to make it skip the part of the hd that is being used for the backup files? I'm not sure what info you need, but I'll be happy to supply any that I can to get this working. Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you using the Task seqeunce avilable from here http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1735-using-offline-mode-in-windows-pe-using-usmt-4-via-a-task-sequence-in-sccm-2007-sp2 . If so,do you see any folder called usmtoffline in C:\drive ?

what does the log says ?

Thanks Eswar...I'm not using that one...I'm using the one from here: http://www.windows-n...task-sequences/

should I be using the one in your post?

Yes,I would more prefer to use the Hardlinking migration offline(given above) ,which will make the things pretty cool and smooth.

Ok, I've tried this several times and its failing at the do x86 scanstate with this error task sequence has failed with the error code (0x00000001) I'll attach the log file, there was this error in it: Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005. I appreciate everyone's help...its definately a good learning process :)

smsts.log

Ok, I've tried this several times and its failing at the do x86 scanstate with this error task sequence has failed with the error code (0x00000001) I'll attach the log file, there was this error in it: Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005. I appreciate everyone's help...its definately a good learning process :)

Also, just found this error in the log:

Failed to run the action: do X86 scanstate.

Incorrect function. (Error: 00000001; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="12:14:40.033+300" date="11-26-2010" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="1136" file="instruction.cxx:3101">

<![LOG[sending status message

post-7736-12907907821407_thumb.jpg