anyweb

setup cannot copy the file: nlite.inf

Question

For those of you that don't know nlite is an excellent tool for patching your Windows XP (and 2000/server) Installation cd's (iso's) with hotfixes, patches and more.

I recently used it to add a hotfix for High Definition Audio, and that process worked great, however when I pxe booted my client to the RIS server to test if the hotfix had been integrated correctly with the new ISO (which i mounted using daemon tools, then imported into RIS via rissetup), I got the following RIS setup error during file copy operations

Setup cannot copy the file: nlite.inf

- To retry, press ENTER

If you are installing from a CD, make sure the Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

- To skip this file, pres ESC

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may not work properly

- To quit Setup, press F3

Now the above error is safe to ignore, and if like me you created the nlite working directory as c:\XP_source, you'll easily be able to find the file in question.

The file will be in a compressed state and by default located in C:\XP_source\I386\ and called nlite.in_

open a command prompt and let's extract it using

EXPAND.EXE NLITE.IN_ nlite.inf

C:\XP_source\I386>EXPAND.EXE NLITE.IN_ nlite.inf

Microsoft ® File Expansion Utility Version 5.1.2600.0

Copyright © Microsoft Corp 1990-1999. All rights reserved.

Expanding nlite.in_ to nlite.inf.

nlite.in_: 732 bytes expanded to 5966 bytes, 715% increase.

ok done. now you can copy that expanded file to your i386 folder on the RIS server and test PXE booting again (ris)

cheers

anyweb

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet