Vancouverite

Configuring Detection Frequency

What are the potential downsides of running very frequent Heartbeat and Active Directory System Group Discoveries? By very frequent, I mean under every 10 minutes? Similarly, I'm thinking about having some or all of my collections update on a similar schedule.

I know that SCCM likes to take its time to do things, but there is a lot of pressure/frustration coming from having to wait hours for a collection to update itself followed by another long wait for the client to check in and unfortunately it all has to be configured to be as hands-free as possible (so no using right-click tools to trigger a policy cycle). I need to get the times down as much as possible. Any advice?

Does it help that I have under a thousand client systems?

i wouldn't advise you to set such aggressive discovery times as the sql server will be inundated and never keep up with itself, instead, upgrade to R3 and utilise the delta discovery methods it has, or set more realistic expectations amongst your users (within 3 hours or so) for software