Sumixam

Boot Media Creation Failure: No Management Point

I'm trying to get OSD to work in a development network here at work but am having trouble when trying to create boot media.

I've created a basic task sequence and my packages are all ready to go. When I try to create boot media I run into problems. The wizard starts, I select "Bootable Media" but when I click Next I get the error "A management point is required to create task sequence media."

The SCCM guys tell me that they have 2 MPs behind a load balancer and that they are working properly.

I searched the web and found some info on the required rights in SCCM in TechNet and I made sure that the rights I've been granted inside SCCM are more than enough to do what I'm trying to do.

I have all this working in a small lab environment, but in that there is only a single SCCM server that carries all the roles. I've even compared the rights I have in that small lab SCCM server to the development server and they seem to match up.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestons as to where I should look?

Thanks

on the site server that you are attempting to create boot media, is there a MP ?

No. The SCCM team granted me access to the top-level site server. There is no MP within that site. The MP is in a child site. Right now I do not have access to the servers in that site, although I've asked them to grant me access.

They did temporarily add the MP role to a server within the top-level site and the wizard at least ran. It failed because there was no MP assigned to the site (they didn't make it the default for the site, just added the role itself).

So, it looks like my problems are tied to not being able to access the MP within the child site. I guess the learning curve is a bit slower when the OSD guy comes from outside the SCCM team. :)