KeithDib

PXE Boot help

Question

Hi

I am running SCCM 2007 on a Server2003, all use same server (VM)

All machines run in VM domain, everything is working well, I can install SCCM client fine, Advertisements work OK and apps deploy as they should.

I am trying to use the system to deploy an OS, WDS etc is configured..

When the (VM) client PXE boots it finds the DHCP server fine and loads the SCCM screen comes on so the system is booting from the boot wim ok, but after a while the client reboots and goes through the same process again (looping). This is happening on all clients

Thanks in advance

Keith

9 answers to this question

it will get far enough, if you see the sccm screen that is WinPe.

you have to enable F8 command support in your boot wim, read the previous post to see how

cheers

niall

Hi

I have not got this problem sorted, turns out SCCM & WDS were mapped to different boot.wim files... not sure how or why

I now get to this point and it stops

SCCM2.jpg

I have followed the tutorial, deleted everything & followed it again, with no luck. I have put extra NIC drivers in the boot.wim also

Any help would be great

Thanks

Keith

Here's one thing to try if your winpe images won't get an F8 prompt. I came across a microsoft article that stated point blank, if you can't hit F8 to get a command prompt, it may be an incompatible driver. i.e. it's not that your nic card is failing, it's that you have an incompatible driver with that image.

Sure enough I was using the Lenovo 82577LM driver for our x201 laptops (win7 x86) dated 9/1/10 and as soon as I got the Intel dated 11/5/10 everything clicked... It's ALL about the nic drivers.

Hi

Thanks for answer, I am using VMWARE for both server & client, I have added the VMware drivers to the boot.wim by extracting the drivers from an existing VM client (also XP) and using them.

I am not sure if another driver is needed other than the normal ones.

Keith

Hello,

I have this exact same problem.

When I hit F8 I get an IP address just fine, so network seems ok (I have not added a network driver though)

Through this cmd prompt I can also access the shared location where it should be looking for the Windows XP installation files without problems. So the share seems fine as well. I can ping the DP, and the domain controler for all it's worth.

I followed the "how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1" guide.

The smstslog is attached smsts1030.txt

and shows the following errors:

[Failed to connect to "\\SCCM-SV.SCCM.COM\SMSPKGE$\REX00005" (67)]

and

[Content location request for REX00005:2 failed. (Code 0x80040103)]

and

[Failed to resolve selected task sequence dependencies. Code(0x80040103)]

Now the weird thing is, there is no folder called SMSPKGE$

There IS however a folder called SMSPKGC$ (which however does not contain a folder called REX00005, but does contain other variations on this)

The log shows its looking for stuff in E:\ (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp) but there is no E:\ drive (hence there is no SMSPKGE folder)

We're a bit lost here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.