Kingskawn

DELL and drivers

Question

I'm new to Dell systems and with SCCM I want to create an automatic way of installing drivers and maybe Dell applications.

For the moment I'm trying Dell Client System Update but I got 1 model (Optiplex 780) that doesn't see any drivers or dell applications so my question is what else to use?

Otherwise there is the Dell Client Deployment Pack for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 but the thing is that there are a multitude of applications like DCCU, CCTK, OMCI, CAB, ... that don't say which one is the best in order to get machines installed and 100% functional.

I need to run this in a task sequence and not from another application installed on a server. The only thing that could be usefull is a repository on SCCM server or another one with all drivers and applications. That's what I do for Lenovo and HP.

For Lenovo I have ThinInstaller which is a marvelous program and for HP I have SSM and they both work! :P

So to all the Dell Admins, what do you use to make a good Win7 gold build?

For 64bit yes

Be sure to create and save your settings.xml file on the server that hosts the "Dell repository manager". And then copy that file in your package. I got version 1.2.155

So this should be right:

I installed DCSU on a Dell computer, started the application, changed the settings on the client, and saved a settings.xml fil to the desktop on the client.

Then I copied this file to the DCSU source package on server, and updated the distribution point.

In the task sequence I install DCSU, then a new step to copy the settings.xml from the distribution point the the "%ProgramFiles(X86)%\Dell\ClientSystemUpdate\

The Dell step starts in the task, but it failed after a couple of minutes(error code =2 restart required) because an Audio driver requires a restart of the computer(it says so from the dell log in windows\temp).

This was not an issue with HP or Lenovo because the computer restarts after all packages are installed.

Yes I know, with HP and Lenovo it's easier :-)

Now try to change the install parameters of this audio driver in the Dell rep Manager console. Which machine is it? Maybe I've got the same

It is a Dell Latitude E4200 :)

Yes I know, with HP and Lenovo it's easier :-)

Now try to change the install parameters of this audio driver in the Dell rep Manager console. Which machine is it? Maybe I've got the same

I cant find where I can edit the install parameters? Properties on the package doesnt give this option :/

Here is the way mine looks. It is for an E6410. I have all of the install commands let me know if you need them. I had to figure them all out on my own even Dell Premier support finally gave me the info after I had done all of the work and about 2 weeks late.

Thanks,

Jason

post-7279-0-87768400-1299761615_thumb.jpg

Hello oliphanj

We are trying to complete an automated driver solution, so that you do not need all those steps in the task.

We just run dsu-cli step in the task towards a local driver repository and the client will download all the packages that applies to this system and install them.