anyweb

how can I deploy Office 2010 Professional Plus using SCCM 2007 - Part 2

Question

In part one of this guide, we prepared Office 2010 X86 by downloading the files required (including the OCT), and created our own MSP file. Now we will add that customised package to ConfigMgr.

Step 1. Create the Office 2010 Package

Note: Before starting this step, copy the c:\Office2010x86 folder we created in part one of this guide, to your application sources share on your SCCM server, eg:

\\WIN-CILZXI45G1Q\apps\office2010x86

Open your ConfigMgr console, and expand Computer Management, Software Distribution. Right click on Packages and choose New Package.

new package.jpg

Fill in your package details on the wizard screen

general.jpg

point it to the data source on your network share

data source.jpg

and click next through the wizard until you see the confirmation screen.

summary.jpg

Hi there,

I have what may be a silly question I hope you can help with. You mention having to copy the config.xml file into the root off the Office source directory - even though we have customized with OCT (single transform in updates folder). Is there any editing of the config.xml file required in addition to the OCT config - e.g. by default my config.xml file says to use US language and MAK key - whereas I have OCT configured to use GB language and KMS.

In summary my question is once we have configured with OCT, what has to remain at minimum in the config.xml file to be copied to the Office source root and do things have to match up with OCT config?

Cheers,

Stewart

I followed an almost identical walk-through for this process, prior to finding this one, from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404178.aspx. I had completed the walk through on that link and it basically just seemed to do nohing. I tried several times and each time waiting for up to an hour to see if anything had changed on the test PC. (Checking to see if the installed Office 2007 was magically now Office 2010). Needless to say it did not work for me. I then did some more searching and found this walk-through which reads very much the same as the above link, with the exception being the portion regarding the config.xml file. So I started over ... created a second .msp using OCT, ... created all the neccessary SCCM components (half was already done since I had just done it on the previous walk-through). I stopped at that point to check what I needed to do with the config.xml and I am not clear. I opened the .xml file in notepad just to see what it contained, and it is generic, containing none of the info that was specified in the OCT/msp creation. So I guess I am confused.... is the xml file intended to be generic even after running through the OCT process? Is that the xml file SCCM requries? I would appreciate some more explanation around the xml file.... before I run off and try more tests hopefully.

Thanks in advance if anyone is still responding to this thread.

Hi there,

I have what may be a silly question I hope you can help with. You mention having to copy the config.xml file into the root off the Office source directory - even though we have customized with OCT (single transform in updates folder). Is there any editing of the config.xml file required in addition to the OCT config - e.g. by default my config.xml file says to use US language and MAK key - whereas I have OCT configured to use GB language and KMS.

In summary my question is once we have configured with OCT, what has to remain at minimum in the config.xml file to be copied to the Office source root and do things have to match up with OCT config?

Cheers,

Stewart

Did you ever get a reply anywhere from anyone? It seems we have the same question/issue.......

Well I have tried 20 variants of the above ..... nothing seems to work for me...... Office 2010 never appears in RAP (not sure if it even should with some of the specific attempts I've tried). I set it up.... leave the test machine alone for a couple hours and nothing ever happens..... nothing ever appears in RAP, nothing is ever installed, no errors are presented..... It just seems to sit there and blink like a dear in the headlights..... I am not sure where to go from here. I have started completely from scratch twice with the same result.... I have posted issues in here with no response..... I see others asking the same question, also getting no response....

Hi, I followed your tutorial, setup.exe is run on the client but it looks like it gets stuck right after starting.

The setupexe log file is only 4 kb and ends with this section:

Product: PROPLUSR

AddOnGroup Culture: nl-nl

AddOnId: WORD.NL-NL

AddOnId: OFFICE.NL-NL

AddOnId: POWERPOINT.NL-NL

I copied the config.xml to the root of the install dir (same as where setup.exe lives) but still the setup stalls somehow.

Could it be my office dvd, I used the x64 version from my technet subscription.