astx813

Task Sequence Error 0x80004005

Question

*Insert obligatory statement of praise for anyweb and the rest of the community here*

Having followed the guides and picked my way through various pitfalls, errors, and failures, I am now stuck. At first I thought it was a network driver issue, but I've added the drivers, the card is detected, and I can ping the SCCM server by name. A little before the half-way point in the logs, are a series of entries

Attempting to connect to "\\DEPLOY.LAW.VIRTUAL\SMSPXEIMAGES$\SMSPKG\LAB00006".
Retrying download...

It says this 10 times, then errors with "Failed to connect..." The SMSPXEIMAGES$ share was automatically created, so I don't know how the permissions could be wrong in it. But if someone can tell me what they *should be* then I can verify they're set right.

The next series of errors comes at the end of the log, with the lines

Failed to save environment to (80070057)
Failed to save the current environment block.  This is usually caused by a problem with the program.  Please check the Microsoft Knowledge Base <snip>

Would the line "We do not find an available volume to store the local data path" (8 lines up from this failure) have any connection with this? I do have an accessible local drive, I can access it using DISKPART.

Finally, where it seems to come crashing down, in the OSDNetSettings.exe section

Failed to read installation type from environment.. Please ensure you are running this executable inside a properly confiured OS Deployment task sequence.  Unspecified error (Error: 800004005; Source: Windows)

Guessing this has to be the SMSPXEIMAGES$ permissions... On the one hand, yeah, it's a permissions issue. I gave Everyone read access to the folder and it successfully connected to LAB00006... And yet that hasn't changed the outcome. I'm still getting all the other errors. Thoughts?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

smsts-chipsets.log

1 answer to this question

make sure you set the permissions from the root of the source directory. replace ALL the permissions on files, folders and subdirectories and select to replace and inherit on subdirectories... try that....

*source directory e.g. d:¥applications¥

then if your DP's are on separate servers you'll need to re-acl these as well..