hybrid

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

I'm Peter Upfold, a.k.a. hybrid and I've been a long time member of Windows-Noob's sister site Linux-noob for many years. I really enjoy playing around with technology all across the spectrum -- from Apple stuff, Linux stuff and Windows and Microsoft technology too.

I recently went ahead and purchased a TechNet Standard subscription, because I want to become more familiar with Windows, particularly the server side of Microsoft's offerings which can be difficult to get familiar with if you don't have access to the software! So far I've been messing around with Windows Server 2008 and 2003 and Exchange 2010, but the TechNet subscription means that I should be able to get familiar with all sorts of other interesting products too.

So I might be asking a few questions here and there as I play around and run into the inevitable problem or two. Hopefully in time I can answer others' questions too. :)

welcome Peter ! you know we are happy to help :)

have you tried server 2008 r2 yet ? it's great, and if you have a laptop/desktop that is virtual capable (cpu...) then you can install hyperV and run all your testing on that, that's the way i do it (virtual machines in hyperV),

cheers

niall

welcome Peter ! you know we are happy to help :)

have you tried server 2008 r2 yet ? it's great, and if you have a laptop/desktop that is virtual capable (cpu...) then you can install hyperV and run all your testing on that, that's the way i do it (virtual machines in hyperV),

cheers

niall

Thanks. :)

Yeah, sorry, I meant to say been playing with Server 2008 R2 -- I obviously failed to mention the 'R2' bit! Right now the only 64-bit machine that I personally have access to and is in a suitable state in terms of disk space is my MacBook Pro. So right now I'm actually already virtualising Windows Server 2008 R2 inside VMware Fusion on that machine.

Does Hyper-V have any benefit over using a different virtualisation solution like VMware, as I am now?

well the advantage of hyperV is that it's a Microsoft product and definetly good to familiarise yourself with, everyone and their neighbor is a vmware expert these days ;)

i've used both vmware (esxi/workstation) and hyperV and i actually prefer using hyperV, I use it for all my labs

cheers

niall