Noise

Build and Capture - Pause TS

Question

Hi

I want to update our base image with windows updates and a few extra files.

I see lot's of guides on build and capture TS, however we're not using SCCM for updates, but native WSUS.

How can i pause the TS, to apply all available updates, copy the extra files to the OS, and continue the TS for the WIM capture?

3 answers to this question

Hi

I want to update our base image with windows updates and a few extra files.

I see lot's of guides on build and capture TS, however we're not using SCCM for updates, but native WSUS.

How can i pause the TS, to apply all available updates, copy the extra files to the OS, and continue the TS for the WIM capture?

take a look at peter's blog post http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/ConfigMgr-2007-Updating-a-Windows-7-Image-with-the-latest-Software-Updates-e28093-A-less-conventional-but-very-effective-way.aspx

i did the same thing for a VDI client at my last company.... checkout halfway down the post here http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2855-build-and-capture-windows-7-enterprise-for-vdi/ for something very similar... we just put a batch file with a bunch of stuff.... .and a simple pause command....once completed, press space bar to continue the TS....

i also have a wsus update script included there, but its not provided... just referenced.... its easy to find one online to automate it though :)

Another option is AutoIT, you can create executables that are simple scripts which can do a lot of things. I used AutoIT to create a "pause.exe" file and run that in a task sequence, the following is the entire script:

MsgBox ( 1, "Script Paused", "Do the following before closing this dialog...." )

Clicking the OK button on the generated dialog box closes the app and thus the exe finishes, and the TS continues. Just another option available, I found it handy as we have several apps that can't be installed silently and I use AutoIT to install these apps and pass keyboard commands and even mouse clicks to the installers, to automate them and keep it consistent.