Scott

PXE Role on an existing DHCP Server??

Question

Hi,

I've had a request to allow F12 PXE boot to occur from any subnet (currently limited to 3 subnets). I've asked our networks team to add the IP address for the SCCM Server with PXE Role, as a helper address for all subnets. They have responded asking if it is possible for the role to migrated to one of the existing DHCP servers. The question is, is this something that any of you have done before or is it advisable? My concern is that the DHCP server would be hammered each time we deploy an OS? Wherever possible i would still like to utilize our existing SCCM servers.

Hopefully this makes sense??

Cheers!

Scott

3 answers to this question

It is possible to run PXE on a DHCP server, but I wouldn't advise it if it's not neseccary (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680753.aspx). Besides that even Microsoft say's that IP Helpers are more reliable then DHCP Options (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926172).

if your servers are DP/PXe/whatever point secondary servers with DHCP running on each then, setup WDS also on each using 60 with 67 turned off as an added scope option. Ensure 60 is listed on only the Lan scope and not for example a Vlan scope. Lan scope only. If you need further help with it and of course if I am understanding your question properly, respond.