lord_hydrax

WDS and SCCM PXE Booting Issue

Question

Hello,

I've been running OSD through SCCM 2007 for several months now (Thanks to the awesome guides on this site) and we constantly have issues with newly imported computers.

Each time we import a new computer into SCCM we must restart the Windows Deployment Service so PXE booting picks it up.

I only advertise Task Sequences to certain collections only.

The normally process we go through is as follows:

1. Import the computer information providing a computer name and MAC Address

2. Update the collection membership and refresh it to check the computer comes up (I have a 'Deploy OS' collection I specifically created for the task)

3. Restart Windows Deployment Services on the SCCM Server

If I try PXE booting the computer between steps 2 and 3 I get a 'PXE Boot Aborted' message or similar - if I try after step 3 it is fine.

Same deal at my remote sites, you add a computer on the primary Site Server then you need to restart WDS on the local DP to the computer.

This is pretty much guaranteed to happen ever time and is quite annoying, is there a checkbox I missed somewhere to 'auto-update' or something?

Thanks guys!

Regards,

Andrew

2 answers to this question

sounds like the pxe cache for wds in the registry, can take up to 60 minutes before it resets itself, you can adjust it

http://scug.be/blogs/sccm/archive/2010/11/16/configmgr-2007-pxe-cache-behavior.aspx