BRO-T

NFS help required

Hi everyone, I really hope someone can help me.

Our new phone system has a Unix box which exports the dialler stats to a NFS mounted share.

I am using server 2008 R2 and have installed the NFS roles. I have created an NTFS share and tried to configure the NFS share. We have set the share to "Allow unmapped user Unix Access". as the Unix box is just creating a HTML file every minute with updated statistics.

The problem I have is that only members of the local admins group can see these files. We need a variety of people to view them without being in the local admins group. Please help me!

Hi everyone, I really hope someone can help me.

Our new phone system has a Unix box which exports the dialler stats to a NFS mounted share.

I am using server 2008 R2 and have installed the NFS roles. I have created an NTFS share and tried to configure the NFS share. We have set the share to "Allow unmapped user Unix Access". as the Unix box is just creating a HTML file every minute with updated statistics.

The problem I have is that only members of the local admins group can see these files. We need a variety of people to view them without being in the local admins group. Please help me!

Your problem sounds like a simple permissions issue. What I understand is the files are being written fine, but people cannot access the files unless being a local admin? Make sure the share perms are populated with who you want, as well as the NTFS perms.

Here is something pulled from technet.

Creating an NFS shared folder

The next step is to use NFS sharing to create an NFS shared folder on the computer running Server for NFS. You can later mount this shared folder on a UNIX client and create a test file on it.

To create a shared folder using NFS sharing

On the computer running Server for NFS, create a folder to use as the NFS shared folder.

Right-click the folder you created and click NFS Sharing.

Select Share this folder.

If you want to allow anonymous access, select Allow anonymous access.

Click Permissions, click Add, and then do either of the following:

* In the Names list, click the clients and groups you want to add and click Add.

* In the Add Names box, type the names of clients or groups you want to add, separating names in the list with a semicolon (;).

In the Type of Access list, click the type of access you want to allow the selected clients and groups.

Select Allow Root Access if you want a user identified as root to have access other than as an anonymous user. By default, the user identifier (UID) root user is coerced to the anonymous UID.

In the Encoding list, click the type of directory name and file name encoding to be used for the selected clients and groups.

Click OK twice, and then click Apply.

noteNote

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

noteNote

To see a list of the members of a group, in the Names list, click a group, and then click Members.

Specifying default permissions for new files and folders

You can specify the default permissions that will be applied to any file or folder created on an NFS shared resource by the computer running Client for NFS. You can assign Read, Write, and Execute permissions to Owner, Group, and Others.

* Owner. The person creating the file. By default, Owner has Read, Write, and Execute permissions.

* Group. The primary group of the person creating the file. By default, Group has Read and Execute permissions.

* Others. Other file system users (equivalent to Everyone in Windows). By default, Others have Read and Execute permissions.

To specify default file permissions

On the computer running Client for NFS, open Services for NFS. To open Services for NFS, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services for Network File System.

In the console tree, right-click Client for NFS and click Properties.

On the File Permissions tab, select the default file permissions to apply to each new file and folder created by this computer, and then click OK.

noteNote

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.