PCgeek215

WDS for Multiple MSP Clients

Question

Hi All!

I currently work for a managed service provider. We manage the IT needs for roughly 20 clients with over 2000 workstations at over 90 sites.

We currently build and re-build each workstation by hand when it is required (following a procedure of course). I am now looking into a WDS solution that would basically automate the solution up to the point of naming the workstation and sending it out to site.

I plan to setup a build environment (domain outside our production environment) with a server running all the services (AD, DHCP, DNS, WDS, WSUS, MDT, MAIK etc) neeeded for an automated build.

We mainly use HP workstations so these will be the only ones I will load drivers for initally. Out of the box drivers for 90% of the time and MDT the other troublesome drivers based on the System Model filters.

The problem I am coming up with is applying the customisation for each client without generating an image for each of them...

I plan to have three standard, localised images for Win XP x86, Win 7 x86 and Win 7 x64. The only way I have come up with thus far is to create 20 (x3) answer files for the three OSs, one for each client.

These answer files will install the correct VLK OS key, the correct version of office and the VLK Key for that and any other customisations required such as local admin password, desktop icons, register a DLL file needed etc.

The only down-side to this approach is the need to MSTSC into the server before each depployment (even one workstation) and to set the asnwer file for an image. It also means I can't deploy Win 7 x86 to two different clients at once because they will use different answer files.

Without putting a WDS server on each site (90 sites... come'on...) what would be the best way (other than the above) to approach this?

Your expertise and advice is greatly appreciated!! :D

1 answer to this question

Edit: for unattended.xml, etc only.

is your image the same for all clients? software etc....

you could just not use the VLK key, then build a batchfile to load on first boot to windows with a series of choices.. press 1 for abc, press 2 for def, etc ... then the corresponding batchfile runs, kicks a bunch of customization scripts etc.

little complex but would work... i did for a project once, worked well....but is tedious to build