Respo

Uninstall Software with Auto IT over SMS

Question

Hi there,

I made a Script with Auto IT to uninstall an old Version of IBM Rexx V. 2.3.1.0.

Was installed with an old Macrorecorder (On Command) thtat we dont use any more.

So i build a Script with Auto IT to deinstall the old Software and roll it out with SCCM:

Auto IT Script :

run("setup.exe")

WinWaitActive("IBM Object REXX for Windows Interpreter Edition 2.1.3.0 - InstallShield Wizard")

sleep(10000)

Send("{DOWN}")

sleep(1000)

Send("{DOWN}")

sleep(1000)

send("!W")

sleep(5000)

send("!J")

sleep(20000)

MouseClick("left",514,745,1)

send("{SPACE}")

The combiled exe runs perfekt on my vmware winxpmashine, but if i try the same thing with SMS i get following error :

at my Event Viewer - Applications : Source SMS Client, Event ID : 10006

The program for advertisement "VIE200A8" failed ("VIE0008E" - "Remove Rexx 2.3.1"). A failure exit code of 1 was returned.

User context: NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM

Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of 1 is considered a failure.

Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.

Also tried to run the programm as local system, same effect ... programm stands still at the last wizard page. So need help !

THNX !

1 answer to this question

Personally I try to stay away from the SendKey type of stuff. it can get you into all sorts of issues if something unexpected happens. if you're just stuck at a final summary wizard window, what happens if you just kill the process? If it's done removing, then that last window should just be for show-and-tell.

Since I noticed the word "InstallShield" in you script, I thought I'd also ask... Have you tried to see if you can record an uninstall? You can run the installer with something like "Setup.exe -r". InstallShield will hopefully record all your install choices in a "C:\Windows\Setup.iss" file; which you could then hopefully use with a /Silent switch to uninstall the application.

If that doesn't help... Typically when we run into something that doesn't uninstall nicely we create a VBScript to delete the corresponding folders, Start menu items, and registry settings. Basically, we just rip it out of the system - if a few .DLLs get left behind, well that shouldn't hurt anything...