RGB09

MDT 2010 how fast should this image

Question

Can someone tell me how fast or quick should it be to capture an image using MDT2010. Currently it takes over an hour to do this. This is not a basic image, but all the software that we use too.

Its interesting to note that some people have said it only takes between 15-20 minutes... if this is possible how can I do this.

Some background information:

we use 2 vlans, one for staff and one for students. Staff can get on to the student vlan, but students can not get on to staff vlan.

we use a proxy server to access the internet and also have a firewall.

currently we have about 1800 machines on our system.

we have AD, DHCP and DNS.

we also use KMS to license windows 7 and office 2010.

9 answers to this question

Can someone tell me how fast or quick should it be to capture an image using MDT2010. Currently it takes over an hour to do this. This is not a basic image, but all the software that we use too.

Its interesting to note that some people have said it only takes between 15-20 minutes... if this is possible how can I do this.

In our system, it takes about a half hour or so. Definately less than an hour, though (on the flip side, our SCCM deploy was taking FOREVER so we switched to MDT for onsite imaging)

I'm assuming you have a Win7 OS you're deploying (we have both in our environment)

The task sequence we run on Post-Install has about 10- 15 tasks to run.

How many does yours have?

Are you noticing the win7 setup is running a long time or is it just the entire task?

In our system, it takes about a half hour or so. Definately less than an hour, though (on the flip side, our SCCM deploy was taking FOREVER so we switched to MDT for onsite imaging)

I'm assuming you have a Win7 OS you're deploying (we have both in our environment)

The task sequence we run on Post-Install has about 10- 15 tasks to run.

How many does yours have?

Are you noticing the win7 setup is running a long time or is it just the entire task?

Hi, I spoke to the tech who set this up, they haven't used any task sequence, what they did was do an image with everything on it and deploy it, basically a wim file with all the drivers and applications on it. I was always under the impression that when imaging you install OS then use task sequence to load all the other software, or is this wrong???... Confused!!!

Hi, I spoke to the tech who set this up, they haven't used any task sequence, what they did was do an image with everything on it and deploy it, basically a wim file with all the drivers and applications on it. I was always under the impression that when imaging you install OS then use task sequence to load all the other software, or is this wrong???... Confused!!!

i'm not being sarcastic when i say "there are many ways to do it"

We have Panasonic ToughBooks (several different flavors) and they are a pain in the butt to deal with. So we have captured an image of each one (all software and settings and drivers) and deploy them in a simple manner. That takes a few minutes (about 30)

For the rest of the PCs in our enterprise, we have a standard drivers-less image that has no software. The task sequence will install drivers and the software requested in the Task Sequence. That takes a little longer (but no longer than 45 minutes)

We're just getting it to the point (we? hell, me) where there's just a base image and the drivers/software is deployed during the task. I think it's simpler that way.

i'm not being sarcastic when i say "there are many ways to do it"

We have Panasonic ToughBooks (several different flavors) and they are a pain in the butt to deal with. So we have captured an image of each one (all software and settings and drivers) and deploy them in a simple manner. That takes a few minutes (about 30)

For the rest of the PCs in our enterprise, we have a standard drivers-less image that has no software. The task sequence will install drivers and the software requested in the Task Sequence. That takes a little longer (but no longer than 45 minutes)

We're just getting it to the point (we? hell, me) where there's just a base image and the drivers/software is deployed during the task. I think it's simpler that way.

I think we may have to look at that option (base image then use task sequence for everything) we are looking at using SCCM 2010 for all our future deployments and software updates...

but I think you have answered my initial question anyway about how long things should take :)

We did it that way in the past with our XP images. Base OS + drivers for that particular make/model + base applications. Now, with Windows 7, I'm setting up a new deployment server with the goal of just a BASE Windows 7 image and everything else is scripted. Getting "everything else scripted" is the hard part, not necessarily with applications, but different settings. Due to something corporate did, we have to uncheck "Automatically detect settings" for each user, so I have to figure out how to do that. Normally, with XP, we (I) would've just put the image on a reference PC, made the change and copied that profile to the default user and recaptured the image. Can't really do that with what I want to do. The way I'm doing it is harder up front, but saves time in the end.

Hello,

My image is taking over an hour to deploy, and I do not have a lot of applications being installed too.

My reference image only has windows update up to July 2013, than everything else done through task sequence.

During the deployment the drivers are being inject by machine model, windows updates, Office 2010 install, ScrewDriver DRP for printer redirection, HP universal PCL drivers, Symantec anti virus, this is taking approximately 1:40min.

It does seems to take a very long time during Windows update, and Office 2010 install.

Is 1:40 normal for this type of deployment?

I think the key factors that are not being discussed are network infrastructure and disk speed (of the server storing the image). It sounds like you are capturing an image that is larger in size because it includes all of your standard applications, so maybe someone who is able to capture an image in 10-15 minutes is working with a thin image that has nothing more than the OS.

I don't think an accurate assessment of your issue can be accomplished without knowing some more specifics.