DocNorton

Running MSI as Administrator

Question

Howdy.

I've got a Windows7 deployment configured on SCCM2007 and a whole bunch of applications that are advertised out to the task sequence.

Most of the application installations are working fine with the exception of a few.

The first two I'm trying to troubleshoot are .MSI files and seem to be returning similar error codes in the Status Log:

The program for advertisement "LCT20010" failed ("LCT00056" - "NHS01-ENG-Citrix_Virtual_Channel_Client_(Update)-1"). A failure exit code of 1603 was returned.

From what I can see the correct privileges aren't being used when the MSI is being run even though the Program is being instructed to "Run with administrative rights" within the "Run Mode" option in the "Environment" tab.

Incidentally The command line for the MSI is:

msiexec.exe /i vchannel.msi /qn

My question is how can I get the MSI to run via elevated permissions (this is an unattended build so typing the admin password isn't really an option)

Apologies if I've missed out any important points here but I will be sure to supply any further info if needed...

Thanks..

Chris...

3 answers to this question

the program will be run as local system account so no problems there,

have you enabled logging for your actual MSI ? that is the log file we need to see as the 1603 error is extremely generic

the program will be run as local system account so no problems there,

have you enabled logging for your actual MSI ? that is the log file we need to see as the 1603 error is extremely generic

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

In reference to your question; we have logging enabled on another MSI we are having the same problem with but I can't find the log file :s

The command line for the program is:

msiexec.exe /i LESClient64.msi TRANSFORMS=LESClient64.mst /qn /L*v %TMP