Stijn

How to change client computer names?

With SCCM v.Next 2012 I deploy Windows 7 to my computers and let them join the domain. But in the deployment they get a random name chosen by SCCM. I want names like this PC01, PC02, PC03, .....

How I can make this happen?

With SCCM v.Next 2012 I deploy Windows 7 to my computers and let them join the domain. But in the deployment they get a random name chosen by SCCM. I want names like this PC01, PC02, PC03, .....

How I can make this happen?

This is a loaded question :)

There are a lot of ways to do it. The way I use is to put a step in the task sequence to run an app called wsname.exe to rename the computer BEFORE it joins the domain. Once MDT and COnfigMGR 2012 work together then you can use MDT variables like OSDComputerName to query WMI for a SN# or use a task sequence variable.

Like I said there are a ton of ways to do it. Your best bet is to rename the computer before joining the domain because it is less of a headache because once the machine is joined to the domain you have to worry about permissions, the task sequence failing because the object exists, and things like that.

There are a lot of ways to do it. The way I use is to put a step in the task sequence to run an app called wsname.exe to rename the computer BEFORE it joins the domain. Once MDT and COnfigMGR 2012 work together then you can use MDT variables like OSDComputerName to query WMI for a SN# or use a task sequence variable.

Like I said there are a ton of ways to do it. Your best bet is to rename the computer before joining the domain because it is less of a headache because once the machine is joined to the domain you have to worry about permissions, the task sequence failing because the object exists, and things like that.

Does wsname.exe prompt you for a name, or does it just create a name based on the variables used ?

Because I need to be able to give it a specific name....

Hello, I have added a TS directly under "Setup windows and ConfigMgr" as a command line; it did not work, and perhaps it is the way I configured it, I simply put in this for the command line: wsname.exe /n:$SERIALNUM

and left the rest defaults except for 'Run in' which was the UNC to the directory where wsname.exe was kept (it was a hidden share, should it be a standard share?) And I did not run the command as any particular user, should I run it as the administrator account?

I'm trying a different route now, I created a package for the wsname.exe command and am using that instead of a 'Run command line' TS. Well see how that works out, or doesn't, as the case may be.

Any suggestions or examples from people who have successfully used wsname.exe is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello, I have added a TS directly under "Setup windows and ConfigMgr" as a command line; it did not work, and perhaps it is the way I configured it, I simply put in this for the command line: wsname.exe /n:$SERIALNUM

and left the rest defaults except for 'Run in' which was the UNC to the directory where wsname.exe was kept (it was a hidden share, should it be a standard share?) And I did not run the command as any particular user, should I run it as the administrator account?

I'm trying a different route now, I created a package for the wsname.exe command and am using that instead of a 'Run command line' TS. Well see how that works out, or doesn't, as the case may be.

Any suggestions or examples from people who have successfully used wsname.exe is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Ah the packaged wsname.exe worked like a charm!