anyweb

Introducing the windows-noob.com FrontEnd HTA ver 1.0

Question

Introduction:

After a lot of development and testing and countless changes it's time to release version 1.0 of the windows-noob.com FrontEnd HTA. This HTA can be used by Network administrators/techs to quickly make choices about Deployment Type (Backup, Reinstall, New Computer) for their migrations from Windows XP to Windows 7.

Update: This HTA has been updated with a new version here. Please review it's features.

The HTA comes with pre-written scripts that do the hard work for you and set variables based on choices made by the end user. These variables are in turn used by the backend Task Sequence to do the actual heavy lifting. If you stick to the default Task Sequence included here, then when you start it you'll see a password prompt

passsword.jpg

enter Password123 to continue, if you get it wrong it will abort the task Sequence so be careful smile.gif.

Once you've entered the password correctly the HTA itself will display, currently it's adjustable in size, you can edit the DeployMenu.hta to maximise it by editing the following lines,

<HTA:APPLICATION ID="objTest" APPLICATIONNAME="Frontend HTA" SCROLL="yes" SINGLEINSTANCE="yes">
<!HTA:APPLICATION ID="objTest" APPLICATIONNAME="Frontend HTA" SCROLL="No" SINGLEINSTANCE="YES" BORDER="none" CAPTION="no" WINDOWSTATE=MAXIMIZE SINGLEINSTANCE="yes">

frontendhta.jpg

The Backup option allows you to Backup the data in several different ways (option to run CHKDSK before backup, full WIM backup both locally and network, Offline Scanstate in WinPE which is then backed up to a network Share) and also allows you to Create a computer association between source and destination computer while in WinPE if you want to do traditional SMP based state backup (note however for SMP based scenarios that the scanstate must be performed separately while in the full Windows OS using a separate Task Sequence).]

Note: If the computer is has a computername matching MININT- then you will be prompted to enter a computername before backup continues.

backup.jpg

The Reinstall option allows users to Quickly backup data (using offline mode in WinPE and hardlinking) and install Windows 7 Enterprise on existing hardware. They can also optionally specify a user which will then become the Local Administrator of that computer.

Note: If the computer is has a computername matching MININT- then you will be prompted to enter a computername before Reinstall continues.

reinstall.jpg

The New Computer option allows you to choose regional and language options offline via drop down menus (4 languages offered, can be expanded upon easily). In addition, you can select to restore User data (or not), you can also select which OLD_computername profile to restore, or choose SMP if you want to use this New Computer as the Destination computer once a computer association has been previously made and the State captured.

new computer new installation.jpg

Requirements:

The HTA has the following prerequisites:-

* MDT 2010 update 1 integrated with ConfigMgr
* Maik Kosters Web Services 7.2 installed - quick quide here
* SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 or later
* Implement Offline scanstate in WinPE as shown here
* Install Language packs Offline using SCCM 2007 sp2

Features

The windows-noob.com HTA has the following features:-

The windows-noob.com FrontEnd HTA ver 1.0 is primarily used for Deploying (or migrating to) Windows 7, and it offers the following features,

• Backup
  • Reinstall
  • New Computer

The three Operating System Deployment scenarios, Backup, Reinstall (refresh) and New Installation (bare metal/new computer) offer their own options, detailed below:-

Backup features
Chkdsk
full wim backup (local)
full wim backup (network)
Offline scanstate in WinPE (network)

Reinstall features
Chkdsk
full wim backup (local)
full wim backup (network)
Offline scanstate in WinPE (local using hardlinking)
Username becomes Local Administrator

New Computer Features
Regional settings (drop down choice)
Language Settings (drop down choice)
Username
Computername
Restore Users data (drop down choice, none, SMP or Offline via Network)

Additional Features

In addition to the above, you have the ability to:

Exit from the HTA
Open a command prompt
Create a Computer Association (see below)

computer association.jpg

Show information about a client, including IP Address, MAC address, GUID, etc (see below), Reboot or Shutdown.

show info.jpg

so that's the introduction now here's how to implement it in your lab..

Update:- If you want to use Multi Language or Multi Keyboard Layouts then please see this update

Thank you for a Great tool, I've mostly got everything configured and running but I have a couple of questions though -

Issues:

• I'm confused why when making the association on a new computer it would require the destination computer to be entered? Shouldn't this be the Source computer? I'm thinking that this is a new computer (data destination) and I want to pull the data from the old computer (data source). Is my thinking flawed?
  • Under New Installation the UserDataLocation and UDShare steps are disabled. Are those not required? If they are, what Value is needed for the UserDataLocation?
  • I was browsing through the DeployMenu.js file and noticed on line 302 that the sUsmtStorePath value is set to "\\\\sccm\\USMTStores"; Do I need to put my USMT data store server\path here?

Notes:

• My windows 7 deployment was failing after applying the OS because the TS to apply drivers was disabled by default so it wasn't getting a network connection.

Questions:

• I have 300 computers to upgrade in the next couple of months so my main objective is to get OSD to run a scanstate on the old PC while in XP (NOT WinPE). Is that possible?

Everyone at work chuckles when I pull up "Windows-Noob.com" in my browser but I have gotten a few others to start using your site as they notice that it is often returning top hits in a google search. I know I'm busy and I don't run a fully functioning support blog so I can only imagine that you are swamped. I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Jeremy

Thank you for a Great tool, I've mostly got everything configured and running but I have a couple of questions though -

Issues:

I'm confused why when making the association on a new computer it would require the destination computer to be entered? Shouldn't this be the Source computer? I'm thinking that this is a new computer (data destination) and I want to pull the data from the old computer (data source). Is my thinking flawed?</li>

Under New Installation the UserDataLocation and UDShare steps are disabled. Are those not required? If they are, what Value is needed for the UserDataLocation?</li>

I was browsing through the DeployMenu.js file and noticed on line 302 that the sUsmtStorePath value is set to "\\sccm\USMTStores"; Do I need to put my USMT data store serverpath here?</li>

Notes:

My windows 7 deployment was failing after applying the OS because the TS to apply drivers was disabled by default so it wasn't getting a network connection.</li>

Questions:

I have 300 computers to upgrade in the next couple of months so my main objective is to get OSD to run a scanstate on the old PC while in XP (NOT WinPE). Is that possible?</li>

Everyone at work chuckles when I pull up "Windows-Noob.com" in my browser but I have gotten a few others to start using your site as they notice that it is often returning top hits in a google search. I know I'm busy and I don't run a fully functioning support blog so I can only imagine that you are swamped. I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Jeremy

hi Jeremy,

I'm happy that you are trying this tool, it's really useful ! I do have an updated version of it which I havent released yet it does fix some bugs in the original tool, but to your questions...

I'm confused why when making the association on a new computer it would require the destination computer to be entered? Shouldn't this be the Source computer? I'm thinking that this is a new computer (data destination) and I want to pull the data from the old computer (data source). Is my thinking flawed?

when you create an association, <u>you need to specify the destination</u> as THAT computer will be the new computer, you need to have added that computer record to Configmgr before this stage (import computer association...), understand that my tool is merely allowing you to create the association between source (the computer you've just booted into WinPE) and the Destination (new computer, previously added by you to configmgr's database).

Under <strong class="bbc">New Installation the <strong class="bbc">UserDataLocation and <strong class="bbc">UDShare steps are disabled. Are those not required? If they are, what Value is needed for the UserDataLocation?

</li>

all the backup (and restore) options within the task sequence are handled in different sections of the task sequence based on variables, take a look at the backupold section and later on, the restore user state, so these options you mention are set elsewhere when needed.

I was browsing through the <strong class="bbc">DeployMenu.js file and noticed on line 302 that the <strong class="bbc">sUsmtStorePath value is set to <strong class="bbc">"\\sccm\USMTStores"; Do I need to put my USMT data store serverpath here?

this path is used to store our Offline data on the Network (it assumes you are doing a scanstate in WinPE and then copying this stored state to the network share..) we use this as another option to the SMP (state migration Point)

I have 300 computers to upgrade in the next couple of months so my main objective is to get OSD to run a scanstate on the old PC while in XP (NOT WinPE). Is that possible?

sure it's possible, no problems there you can create a separate task sequence to peform scanstate on these computers and use the SMP method (state migration point) in conjunction with Computer Association

Everyone at work chuckles when I pull up "Windows-Noob.com" in my browser but I have gotten a few others to start using your site as they notice that it is often returning top hits in a google search.

yes I know the domain name throws people off and they like to make fun of it, however i'm pretty sure the same people will be browsing this site (and perhaps signing up) sooner or later, as it's got unique content displayed in a very helpful way :)

I have an extra reboot right in the beginning that I cannot seem to get rid of. When I boot into PXE (64bit or 32bit) it allows me to select the Windows Noob HTA, it says it's copying the windows preinstallation environment and then requests that the PC be rebooted. I have looked through the tasks sequences but I cannot find where this is coming from.

Is this avoidable?

Thanks for all your posts. I've learnt a lot.

I use your FrontEnd HTA tool and i wondered: is there a procedure to retain the static ip entered during the winpe phase?

I use statics IP addresses (No PXE & DHCP)

I answer myself:

I've added 2 phases in your Task Sequence (yes, i use your worderful TS. Thanks!!!);

1. Run Command Line (before Apply Operating System Imagen phase)--> cscript scripts\ZTINICConfig.wsf /ForceCapture

2. Run Command Line (after Apply Windows Settings phase) --> cscript scripts\ZTINICConfig.wsf /RestoreWithinWinPE

First, I try to follow some posts like this (http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4700-network-install-using-boot-media-no-dhcp/) but it doesnt work for me :(

The "windows-noob.com Fronted HTA v1.0" Task sequence has two "State Restore" phases. Both of them have this condition:

If Any the conditions are true:

usmtdropdown equals SMP

DeploymentType equals refresh

I see that usmtdropdown variable is set in the New Computer Deployment Type to restore user state, and in Reflesh Deployment type doesnt it either. where do you make backup to SMP?? It isnt in this TS?

correct, it isnt, you have to backup to the SMP using a separate ts. you can however do a computer association using this ts.

actually this is pointed out on the first page !

The Backup option allows you to Backup the data in several different ways (option to run CHKDSK before backup, full WIM backup both locally and network, Offline Scanstate in WinPE which is then backed up to a network Share) and also allows you to Create a computer association between source and destination computer while in WinPE if you want to do traditional SMP based state backup (note however for SMP based scenarios that the scanstate must be performed separately while in the full Windows OS using a separate Task Sequence).]

Can you think of any reason why my language packs won't install? smstslog says that it installs OK. I'm setting language to German and I do have the German.lp setup as a package. Localization settings work fine, but the language pack just never gets installed.