Amar

SCCM 2007 Advertised Programs

Question

When I advertise a task sequence its taking a very long time for it to appear. And its random - Sometime 10 mins sometime an hour.

I have one test PC (XP) in one collection for testing new advertisements. I have changed the polling interval to 2 minutes on the collection and I have manually run the Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation cycle but still no joy in getting them to appear straight away. This is making testing very diffcult.

Can anyone help

9 answers to this question

What does your collection membership query for the collection look like? Maybe it's using information that takes awhile to gather and report into SCCM...

Thanks for replying please see attached doc. The site settings polling is set to 60 minutes and the collection is set to 2 minutes which should overide the the site settings . But it still takes hour for a and advertised task sequence to appear in run advertised programs. I have even force ran the Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle to make the advertisement appear . Am I doing this wrong. I am new to this.

What attached doc? And what has to happen is that the resource ID has to get added to your collection. After that, the client has to check in to see what's available. So how long does it take for the ID to show up in your collection?

Thanks again for coming back I have been on holiday hence the slow reply. I have now attached the doc. The client appears in the collection almost straight away and so does the advertised task .

Ahh okay, you're doing a direct membership rule instead of a query. So when you add a resource object to your collection, it won't know about the 2 minute polling schedule until it checks in again. Which might not be for another 60 minutes (your site setting time). How long does it take to show up if your right-click it and tell it to run the Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle?

Ahh okay, you're doing a direct membership rule instead of a query. So when you add a resource object to your collection, it won't know about the 2 minute polling schedule until it checks in again. Which might not be for another 60 minutes (your site setting time). How long does it take to show up if your right-click it and tell it to run the Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle?

Yes thats correct but istnt the collection setting supposed to over ride the site settings. If I right click on the adverisement or right click on the task sequence that option isnt there. If I go to configuration manager on the client PC and goto Actions and run Machine Policy and Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle it still takes 60 mins for it to appear. Is there anyway around this ( make it appear immediately )as I will be testing all advertisments and task sequences on single test PC first before deploying to a wider group.

Well, the client has an initial "check-in" time of 60 minutes. So it's got to check in before it knows it's got a new "check-in" time of 2 minutes. If you're focused on testing, if it were me, I'd either pre-populate the collection and wait an hour so all the clients know they now check in every 2 minutes, OR... I'd install the right-click tools so I could run the Evaluation cycle directly from the ConfigMgr console without having to access the machine http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rhouchins/archive/2008/04/09/sccm-right-click-tools.aspx