Zeus_at_Work

PC Replacement Scenario

Question

Okay I cannot seem to make any progress at all. I have the need to grab user settings & data from an older PC and migrate them to a freshly installed new PC. I have read any and all topics, posts, walkthroughs and any related post I can find in this forum, to no avail. I have created 2 seperate task sequences, collections, and advertisements. 1 each for capture and Restore. Each Ts is fairly simple containing request, capture (USMT 4.0) and release, and then on the new pc, request, restore (USMT 4.0) and release. I created a computer association between the two pc's. Each time it successfully captures roughly 500mb worth of data and stores it on our state migration point. I can see the USMT.MIG file which appears to be created during the capture. Then using RAP on the destination PC, I run the advertised task sequence (restore) and it fails almost immediately with:

"Restore has failed with error 0x00000004" .. and I cannot seem to find a relevant (or even long shot) solution. One post mentioned a security update which is not the issue as it is not present on any of the machines in question. Currently I am only trying to get this to work from a Windows 7 PC, to another new Windows 7 PC..... capture seems to work fine, restoer... no at all.

7 answers to this question

.... *edit* the error is 0x00002004 .. which, when searched, says to uninstall Microsoft Security update KB974571. However in my case that does not exist on either PC or the server...... so it isn't a part of the equation. I find no other solutions to that issue. I have the smsts.log file...... but no idea how to determine which error might be the cause... if any.

can you post your smsts.log and loadstate.log files here please

Ok I am attaching the log file (smsts.log). I just finished another test this morning in order to provide the cleanest log possible... same failure 0x00002004 (not related to KB974571 as it isn't present). I have no idea where to find a loadstate.log and a search of the destination PC does not reveal one at all.... am I looking in the wrong place?smsts.log Also, from reading soem of your other related forum posts, and walkthroughs...... you mention two different types of computer associations (side-by-side and in-place) ..... and no matter what I have tried, when creating the computer association, it is always "side-by-side".... with no means of selecting or changing that? (not sure if that is relevant). Also, as a seperate troubleshooting step last night, I took the .mig file which is created in the "capture" task sequence, and is stored on the state migration point, and manually copied it to the destination PC and double clicked it. It prompted me for a password.... I tried a few guesses, but being that I have never set one I was never able to get past that. I also "guessed" it might be the "user state recovery key" as listed in the properties of the recovery information in the computer association, however that did not work either.

can you post your smsts.log and loadstate.log files here please

Well I have more information now to add (as well as a loadstate.log which may no longer be relevant).

1. After argueing with myself for days I finaly decided to apply the hotfix (instead of removing kb974571 which wasn't present). There is also an associated hotfix which can be installed if someone wanted to leave that KB in place. So I downloaded the 64bit version of that hotfix, and when attempting to apply it to that machine I receive the error "You can only install this update on build 2195 to build 6005". The problem with that is that all of our new machines are Win7 SP1. SP1 puts the OS outside of that build limitation. I then did a little digging on that particular error to see if there was a more recent update which might apply or another method. On a Technet forum I found the following information (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/53e310aa-3dfc-44ea-8e41-3ae1374d9437) which states:

Before the cert fix tool is released, as a temporary solution you can manually

correct the issue in existing certificates by the procedure below (and then you

will be able to run the OSD procedure).

1. On a target agent, run "mmc.exe", click File> Add/Remove Snap-in, click Add,

highlight the Certificates snap-in, and click Add.

2. In the Certificates snap-in dialog box, choose "Computer account", click Next,

and click Finish.

3. Click Close to close the Add Standalone Snap-in dialog box, and click OK to

close the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box.

4. Browse to Certificates (Local Computer)> SMS> Certificates. You will have two

certificates in the right pane -- SMS Encryption Certificate and SMS Signing

Certificate.

5. Double-click to open one of the certificates, say SMS Encryption Certificate.

6. On the Details tab, click Edit Properties.

7. Edit the Friendly name to make it something like SMS Encryption Certificate1.

8. Click OK to close the two dialog boxes.

9. Double-click to open the certificate again. Edit the Friendly name back to SMS

Encryption Certificate. Click OK to close the two dialog boxes.

10. Repeat the steps 5 - 9 on the other certificate.

This solution (although a terrible solution when wanting automation, and not just swapping one client-side procedure with another) managed to get me past the original error code of 0x00002004. Sadly if there is no new update for Win7 SP1 I will not be able to use any of this as it still requires interaction just as often as doing the entire process manually (therefore not saving me 1 minute of time). I would still like to make this task sequence work however, so I would still appreciate some help. The new error I am getting (to steal a line from loadstate.log -> 2011-04-27 13:40:19, Error [0x000000] The account PC-5928\admin is chosen for migration, but the target does not have account PC-7019\admin. See documentation on /lac, /lae, /ui, /ue and /uel options.

I guess my question is now, how do I utilize any of the command line switches when using straight SCCM with a USMT 4.0 package (and no program)? Am I not understanding? For now I am about to re-test and actually specifying users accounts within the computer association. Ideally though I want to use the command line switch to exclude any local accounts..... but unlike my other software packages which have programs that I can actually append a command line to the end, my USMT package does not? Also are you aware of any effort on Microsoft's part to release the same certificate update to actually be able to apply it to a Windows 7 SP1 edition? I sure hope so, otherwise this has been an expensive, and long process to accomplish very little....... PLEASE HELP!

Ok I am attaching the log file (smsts.log). I just finished another test this morning in order to provide the cleanest log possible... same failure 0x00002004 (not related to KB974571 as it isn't present). I have no idea where to find a loadstate.log and a search of the destination PC does not reveal one at all.... am I looking in the wrong place?smsts.log Also, from reading soem of your other related forum posts, and walkthroughs...... you mention two different types of computer associations (side-by-side and in-place) ..... and no matter what I have tried, when creating the computer association, it is always "side-by-side".... with no means of selecting or changing that? (not sure if that is relevant). Also, as a seperate troubleshooting step last night, I took the .mig file which is created in the "capture" task sequence, and is stored on the state migration point, and manually copied it to the destination PC and double clicked it. It prompted me for a password.... I tried a few guesses, but being that I have never set one I was never able to get past that. I also "guessed" it might be the "user state recovery key" as listed in the properties of the recovery information in the computer association, however that did not work either.

Made a little progress..... loadstate.log now found and attached..... which only leads to a new set of errors.

loadstate.log

I ran into this problem some time ago and the solution ended up being to uninstall Microsoft Security update KB974571. However, now that Windows 7 SP1 is out and rolled into the machine I'm trying to run USMT against I can't seem to get around the problem. Attached is my smsts.log. I also tried renaming the sms encryption certificates as OP did. Now I'm getting the same error as OP did after changing the sms encryption certificates.

smsts.log

I ran into this problem some time ago and the solution ended up being to uninstall Microsoft Security update KB974571. However, now that Windows 7 SP1 is out and rolled into the machine I'm trying to run USMT against I can't seem to get around the problem. Attached is my smsts.log. I also tried renaming the sms encryption certificates as OP did. Now I'm getting the same error as OP did after changing the sms encryption certificates.

Renaming the certificates worked to get me to the next step..... I also had another error following that.... mine was regarding being unable to create a local account called "admin". There are command line switches to specifiy whether to restore local accounts or not when using loadstate.exe. Personally I was never able to get any assistance on how to make use of those command line switches since my USMT package did/does not have an associate program. I could not manually run loadstate.exe /? to get those exact switches and there purposes becuase loadstate apparently does not run on server software.. So in my case and just to carry on with the test of this entire procedure, I got past my last error simply by manually creating the "admin" account on the destination PC. At that point the entire process completed successfully. Now however, I do not see the value of this process as it does not grab everything related to a profile... the first thing I checked was to see if it had transferred Outlook's NK2 file, and it had not. This is one of the files overlooked frequently when replacing pc's and I was hoping this process would eleimnate that... however I am finding it hard to envision a scenario when this process will save me any time over the way I have been doing it. It might be useful to me once or twice a year, which will in no way recoop the time invested to get it working..........