Adminoob

Task Sequence Variable - Prompt for Wim Image Name

Question

Hello!

I have a capture only task sequence that works beautifully, and is very simple, but there is one thing I would like to change. Here are the components of my SCCM capture-only TS:

1. Use Toolkit Package (MDT Integration)

2. Set Backup Location (TS variable: ComputerBackupLocation )

3. Set Backup Filename (TS variable: BackupFile )

4. Create Image (MDT create image script: cscript "%scriptroot%\ZTIBackup.wsf" )

I don't think it matters, but this is capturing an XP image.

I would like to eliminate #3 and prompt for an image name (not a computer name, the .wim name)

How can this be done? Via another TS variable perhaps (I'm reading through the MS documentation on that right now, but so far, nothing pops out that looks like it will prompt for the .wim name during the OSD)

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

This is from another forum:

Run this script instead of step 3 (it's a vbs script). It will set the BackupFile variable to weatherer you type in the inputbox.

----------start script -------------

set env = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment")

Set ProgressUI = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TsProgressUI")

ProgressUI.CloseProgressDialog

BackupFile = InputBox("Name of wim file")

env("BackupFile") = BackupFile

----------end script -------------

I would like to mention, that the beauty of adding images to the same WIM, is the fact that it will reuse files already in the wim. this means you could have 10 XP images in the same WIM, and the size of the wim will only grow with the changes you make. I kind of explain this a little bit here http://blog.coretech.dk/mip/capture-none-syspreped-image-using-sccm-running-imagex-from-a-ts/'>http://blog.coretech.dk/mip/capture-none-syspreped-image-using-sccm-running-imagex-from-a-ts/

Michael Petersen http://blog.coretech.dk/mip/

I'm not really sure on this one, I do a build but I have to do a manual capture as not all of my needed software will install through SCCM. I also customize the default profile so I need to logon to the local admin profile so it is never captured through SCCM. Once I finish my customizations I always use imagex to capture the default image and then manually upload this to the server so I never have this naming issue.