nickjean

DHCP Windows 2008 R2 problem

Hi,

Thank you for replay. We have at the time a range of 192.168.1.1 until 192.168.1.254 subnet mask 255.255.255.0.We have not enough IP now and I want to to increase my hosts to 1024.

I think you are right that it is better that I create one scope and without relay agent.

If you have any better idea, feel free and write me again

Regards

Nick

I have just created an account here because I have to say something about this Microsoft "DHCP server".

I am trying to do one really easy thing:

1. I want to create one address range like "superscope" say 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.255 with 255.255.0.0 subnet mask

2. Then, create in this superscope some scopes for example:

192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.19

192.168.0.20 - 192.168.0.99

192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.255

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.99

192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.255

3. Set for these scopes Reservations (it doesn't matter to me if it is in scopes separately or on superscope level)

4. And finally set for these scopes DIFFERENT scope dhcp options (like 003 Router, 006 DNS Servers, 150 TFTP, and so on...)

Why step 4?

Because I want to have registered things like IP phones in first scope (0.1.- 0.19.) set by Reservations and send them IP, DNS, TFTP and Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0.

On second scope (0.20 - 0.99) let's say computer Reservations, where I want to send them IP, Gateway, DNS and Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0.

Third scope can be set for free distribution (this setting can be done at superscope configuration probably). Here, I DO NOT want to send those computers Gateway and DNS because I don't want them to be connected to internet. But I still want to have access to whole superscope, so I want just send IP and Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0.

AND SO ON...

Basic things are:

1. I want to send same subnet (255.255.0.0) to all things (phones, computer, printers,...) registering on this DHCP so they can communicate without any routing.

2. These Scopes differentiation lets me set options for each scope so I don't need to set every Reservation options separately.

With this configuration I will be able to change TFTP server for all reserved IP phones with one or two clicks..

Sorry for the word, but if it is true that I am unable to create more like one (1) scope on the same subnet... IT SUCKS EXTREMELY HARD

How can be any programmer of DHCP server so short blinded and don't see this elementary (administration) function.

I am lame programmer and I think I could program this in one week. So how could anyone from Microsoft's team, which I really admire, forget this thing?

Apparently it’s very easy to forget because I didn’t see this ability in any of Windows Server Oss.

Any other DHCP servers I saw, has this ability, but they are not this much robust.

I think that my other option is to start using LINUX.