Gorilla

Using Mandatory Assignments

Question

I am trying to perfect my managed application strategy. Using this scenario, please advise.

Collection A has 50 computers in it and no maintenance windows.

Advertisement 1 is created, targets Collection A, and is mandatory so WoL can be used to turn on the computers during off-hours.

1 month later, Computer 51 must receive this required application after hours using WoL and is added to Collection A.

Question: In this situation, is the 1 month old mandatory assignment seen as passed and Computer 51 will begin installing as soon as it recieves the job and package? Or does the mandatory assignment only apply to computers in the collection at the time it triggers and then just stay dormant?

I could address this many ways depending on the behavior. Assuming it doesn't just trigger and die and applies to computers added to the collection later , the options I see are:

1) Add Maintenance Windows to managed application collections to allow them to run only after hours, or;

2) Manually delete the mandatory assignment (not the advertisement) after it runs and then add a new one whenever a new client is added and set re-run behavior to re-run only if failed to prevent it from running again on the current computers.

Can anyone validate this strategy and my comprehension of how this will function. Am I missing any attractive options?

My preference would be to use #1 since it's a 'set-it and forget-it' solution and I'm ambitiously lazy. #2 is just for kicks and to make sure I understand the nuances of managing mandatory assignments and reducing impact to production systems during production hours.

I could test this myself, but IT is already a 'spend-a-lot-of-time focusing alone' job. Sometimes I like to hop on here and get opinions if I cant find an answer. And as I couldn't find one, hopefully it will benefit posterity too. B)

Thanks everyone!

4 answers to this question

The new computer will indeed start installing directly, as it is for the new computer an Advertisement that already could/should have run. Maintenance Windows are indeed your best option if you want installations to happen outside the office-times. Just keep in mind that the Maintenance Windows have influence on all Advertisement to those machines.

Thanks a ton Peter. It appeared that was how it functioned.

I will make sure to use the "ignore maintenance window" option for any deployments that are offered insted of mandatory, as the application deployment management strategy I'm using only really has Offered and Mandatory advertisements.

And I assume this effects WSUS updates too (Maint. Windows) but those only get pushed out in the night and it would be an improvement to prevent missed ones from running during business hours.

I had been "dialing-in" slowly and measuring impact. Seems judicially used and properly configured MW's aren't an option.

Thanks again!