HGITS

issues with integrating updates in TS during OS Deployment

Question

Hello All.

I've got SCCM up and running, took me quite a while but was able to do so because of this forum and the WONDERFUL guides that are here. Thank you!!!

I am running into a problem having the TS install updates during the OS deployment. I'm using a Standard TS not a MDTS ( however I do have the tools installed so I can switch over to it if I need to). I've installed and configured SUP correctly I believe... (I do have deployment management and deployment packages set up and been able to successfully have computers in advertised collections install those updates.) I've tried using the "Install Updates Offline" option. <-- This doesnt work regardless of where I put it in the TS. I have read a couple of places that it should be used with a MDTS but I have NOT tried that yet.

I've tried the regular "Install software updates" with the "Mandatory Software Updates" checked and that still errors out. Right now I've got the "continue on error" box checked so it just passes over it rather then stoping the whole TS. I've checked the updates logs on the client computer, but they dont start logging until after the TS is done, so that doesnt help me.

help please? I've run out of ideas.

Thank you

Make sure that there are no Expired or Superceded updates in your packages.

Btw there is in SCCM no real difference between a 'normal' TS or a 'MDT' TS. It just has some more preconfigured steps by default.

I just checked all the updates and there are no Expired updates or Superceded updates.

oh and this is for a Windows 7 enterprise 32x OS deployment

Thank you!

are you doing a build and capture or a deploy OS, if build and capture use a SLP, and if a normal Deploy OS make sure that your computer is in a collection where the Deployment Management Task is advertised to

are you doing a build and capture or a deploy OS, if build and capture use a SLP, and if a normal Deploy OS make sure that your computer is in a collection where the Deployment Management Task is advertised to

I appoligize for the delay in response. I've been in training all week and my brains been a little too cooked to do extra work.

I am not doing a build and cature, I am deploying an OS. I did make an advertisement for the updates and i've pointed it to the deploy collection. That did not work. I was able to install the updates after the OS deployment was done. The little bubble comes up and shows that there are updates available for it. I did check the updates history and it shows that all the updates failed. with a generic failure code.

Any other ideas? Is there another log file I can check for, or do I need to check it during the actual OS deployment?

Thank you for your help!

post-9417-0-14347500-1305730886_thumb.jpg

ok I snagged all the log files after the TS failed the "install updates offline" attached is a screen shot of the updatesdeployment.log. That shows the 2 repeating error messages.

I've got all the other logs. I'm going to browse through them and see if anything else stands out.

post-9417-0-14347500-1305730886_thumb.jpg

ok I snagged all the log files after the TS failed the "install updates offline" attached is a screen shot of the updatesdeployment.log. That shows the 2 repeating error messages.

I've got all the other logs. I'm going to browse through them and see if anything else stands out.

I keep seeing the Failed to retieve current (user,session) pair, and Error getting logged on user token. error on various other logs as well. Maybe a permission error? I checked and I'm logged in as the local SYSTEM account during the OS deployment. am I missing permissions somewhere for the local SYSTEM account to access the updates path or something like that? I'm still poking around but if you gots some areas for me to check let me know!!!

Thank you!

So after letting this sit for a couple of days and coming back with fresh eyes I'm seeing the issue... maybe? I'm noticing in the portion of the log that I posted that there the "Total targeted updates = 0" so that means that I dont have the updates targeted correctly?

Heres my set up.

I have the computer i'm pushing an image to in the deploy collection. I have the unknown computers linked to the deploy collection.

I have the TS advertised to the deploy collection <-- and that works fine... except for the updates.

I do not have an "advertisement" for the udpates to be pushed to. HOWEVER I do have the "deployment template" pointed to the deploy collection and it includes members of subcollections. and I have the "deployment management" pointed to the deploy collection and it includes members of subcollections.

Any other ideas?

ok I think I might have made some progress. I checked the SMSTS.log and found this portion of it. I highlighted the part that concerns me. "Input Error: Can not find script file "\\hgsccm1.hg\smspkgd$\wnc00015\%deployroot%\scripts\ztipatches.wsf". I DO have the MDT stuffs installed. I tried mapping that location to a drive within the instance of the os deployment and it couldn't find that location.

Question.

where does that %deployRoot% try and map to?

I found the ztipatches.wsf in C:\program files\microsoft deployment toolkit\templates\distribution\scripts.

Do I need to reinstall the MDT and see if it puts the scripts in the correct location?

ok I think I might have made some progress. I checked the SMSTS.log and found this portion of it. I highlighted the part that concerns me. "Input Error: Can not find script file "\\hgsccm1.hg\smspkgd$\wnc00015\%deployroot%\scripts\ztipatches.wsf". I DO have the MDT stuffs installed. I tried mapping that location to a drive within the instance of the os deployment and it couldn't find that location.

Question.

where does that %deployRoot% try and map to?

I found the ztipatches.wsf in C:\program files\microsoft deployment toolkit\templates\distribution\scripts.

Do I need to reinstall the MDT and see if it puts the scripts in the correct location?

So i noticed that below it sets the working directory to the server name and package name. Then it attempts to call the script variable location and it adds that to the working directory? I'm looking through the various XML and ini files and havent been able to find out where I can tweak this? Any ideas?

post-9417-0-28115100-1306443633_thumb.jpg

where in your task sequence are you attempting to do this, if it's Install Updates Offline is must be before the setup windows and configmgr step, is it ? in addition you must specify a windows updates pacakge in that step, are you ? lastly just before the Install Updates Offline step you must have a Use Toolkit Package (mdt 2010u1-MDTFiles) step.

eg....

Use Toolkit Package

Install Software Updates Offline

Setup Windows and configmgr

I've just tested it here with windows 7x86 works fine