itguru1982

BSOD after deploying XP SP3

Question

I'm hoping to get some help with an issue I've been trying to fix all week. I have created a XP SP3 WIM and captured it using SCCM capture CD. I created the image on VMServer as a virtual machine. I have then created a task sequence and put the WIM onto my SCCM lab server and deployed the image to a physical machine. However, the sequence runs all the way through without any errors but then the physical machine keeps BSOD'ing just after the Dell flash screen and then gets stuck in a rebooting loop - it wont even boot into Safe Mode.

I've added all the XP drivers into my SCCM server and created the driver package and also added the driver package to the TS - I've also put the mass storage driver in on the Apply Driver Package part of the TS but still no luck.

I'm assuming its something to do with the mass storage driver but I'm not sure what - also, I havent really done anything with the Sysprep so I'm assuming it could be this too but I'm not sure what to do with that either. On the image I captured, I copied the sysprep files into C:\sysprep - didnt run anything or change anything (just the extracted files in the folder from deploy.cab) and then just run the capture CD.

I've tried pretty much everything I know and have found on popular search engines but still no luck but I'm convinced its something really simple! - any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I'm hoping to get some help with an issue I've been trying to fix all week. I have created a XP SP3 WIM and captured it using SCCM capture CD. I created the image on VMServer as a virtual machine. I have then created a task sequence and put the WIM onto my SCCM lab server and deployed the image to a physical machine. However, the sequence runs all the way through without any errors but then the physical machine keeps BSOD'ing just after the Dell flash screen and then gets stuck in a rebooting loop - it wont even boot into Safe Mode.

I've added all the XP drivers into my SCCM server and created the driver package and also added the driver package to the TS - I've also put the mass storage driver in on the Apply Driver Package part of the TS but still no luck.

I'm assuming its something to do with the mass storage driver but I'm not sure what - also, I havent really done anything with the Sysprep so I'm assuming it could be this too but I'm not sure what to do with that either. On the image I captured, I copied the sysprep files into C:\sysprep - didnt run anything or change anything (just the extracted files in the folder from deploy.cab) and then just run the capture CD.

I've tried pretty much everything I know and have found on popular search engines but still no luck but I'm convinced its something really simple! - any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Check your bios and change the hard drive from raid or ahci to legacy or compatible. If that works, you'll know it's a storage driver...

Tried that already, bad news is that we use a lot of older Dell machines for our factories due to the software that they run (need serial ports, only run on win XP etc...) this particular machine I'm trying to image is a Latitude D520 and doesnt have this option. I have created a custom sysprep.inf now with loads of mass storage drivers within it and also changed the ACPI from Uniprocessor to Standard which I believe could be the issue. I've created a new image from that and using the new sysprep.inf so I'll distribute it tomorrow morning and see how that works! Fingers crossed!!

If that doesn't solve your issue, for whatever it's worth... I use a Build and Capture task sequence to capture our XP image from a VMWare virtual machine, and this is the sysprep.inf file info I use:

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

UpdateServerProfileDirectory=1

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes

OEMSkipRegional=1

OEMDuplicatorstring="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

TimeZone=20

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

FullName="PC User"

OrgName="MyCompany"

ComputerName=*

ProductKey=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXX

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

AreaCode=319

LongDistanceAccess="9"

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

Language=00000409

[identification]

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]

Proxy_Enable=0

Use_Same_Proxy=0

Hi, thanks for your help but it did work in the end, a combination of changing the ACPI from Uniprocessor to Standard and creating a decent sysprep.inf (which I'll post tomorrow..) and it worked a treat across three different hardware types today....

Hi, thanks for your help but it did work in the end, a combination of changing the ACPI from Uniprocessor to Standard and creating a decent sysprep.inf (which I'll post tomorrow..) and it worked a treat across three different hardware types today....

Could you post your solution please? I have the same problem for 1 device