zach

PXE Booting Windows boot manager error

Question

When I import my boot.wim into the "boot images" and try then try to pxe boot from the client computer I get windows boot manager error.

I have set DHCP with 66(server address) and 67(smsboot\x86\wdsnbp.com) options. I have reinstalled wds and pxe service on my site server. Updated both my DP and my PXE DP with the current boot images.

When I try to add a computer to a collection from computer associations nothing happens in my collection group that I have just created. I am running my site server on a windows server 2008 r2. I have followed http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/511-how-can-i-deploy-windows-vista-sp1-using-sccm-2007-sp1/ entire guide by anyweb and can't seem to get this process working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zach

6 answers to this question

First of, there is no need to set DHCP Options 66 or 67, only DHCP Option 60 is needed when DHCP and PXE/WDS are running on the same server.

After that being said, I only see you write about adding boot images, but I don't read anything about creating a task sequence (and advertising it)....

I know it the DHCP settings aren't recommended but for testing purposes I am using this.

I have a "task sequence" set up and it is advertised to "All Unknown Clients" but now I don't have a "Boot Manager Error" and now have received this error during PXE Boot.

Downloaded WDSNBP...

Architecture: x64

The details below show the information relating to the PXE boot request for this computer. Please provide these details to your Windows Deployment Services Administreator so that this request can be approved.

Pending Request ID: 805/795/711

Contacting server: Server Address

fTFTP Download: smsboot\x64\abortpxe.com

PXE Boot Aborted. Booting to next device...

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

But when I check the smspxe.log file I am getting these log errors.

<![LOG[[010.001.000.015:4011] Recv From:[010.001.000.007:68] Len:548 584ff0]LOG]!><time="08:37:34.472+300" date="05-16-2011" component="smspxe" context="" type="0" thread="1812" file="smspxe.cpp:663">

<![LOG[[010.001.000.015:4011] Recv From:[010.001.000.007:68] Len:303 188c0b0]LOG]!><time="08:37:34.566+300" date="05-16-2011" component="smspxe" context="" type="0" thread="1808" file="smspxe.cpp:663">

<![LOG[Executing GetBootAction(7523, SCCM)]LOG]!><time="08:37:34.581+300" date="05-16-2011" component="smspxe" context="" type="0" thread="2076" file="database.cpp:519">

<![LOG[No Boot Action for Device (7523) found]LOG]!><time="08:37:34.582+300" date="05-16-2011" component="smspxe" context="" type="0" thread="2076" file="database.cpp:537">

<![LOG[ProcessDatabaseReply: No Advertisement found in Db for device]LOG]!><time="08:37:34.582+300" date="05-16-2011" component="smspxe" context="" type="0" thread="2076" file="pxehandler.cpp:501">

I have an advertisement advertising to all unknown clients...is this not the way to do this?

Thanks

I have tried making a Computer Association with the MAC address and GUID but the computer never gets added to the any of the Collections. I have looked under All Systems and the computer never appears. I saw that there was an patch for this when using SP2 but I have R3 running and don't see why this should be happening.

Sorry, I understand that. Just an update I am able to get pxe boot to and receive an image if the client is in a collection on my sccm server. But if I am booting a bare metal machine for the first time I receive an error

Windows Boot Manager
Windows Failed to start
File: \boot\bcd
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I am advertising to the Unknown Computer Collection, I have updated my DPs, and if I manually add the computer to the collection the computer will pxe boot and receive the image just fine.

What is causing this error.